Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the lap mounted and the shoulders mounted to my roll bar. My question is, is there any "rule of thumb" when mounting my anti submarine belts? Does it need to mount closer to the seat? More towards my feet? I am assuming that it doesn't matter but just wanted to make sure it wasn't something similar to "not mounting the shoulder straps on the floor for risk of back injury." Maybe a stupid question but better safe than sorry. Also, it is looking like right in the center there is a nice piece of frame convieniently located on the underside so I can't mount them right in the middle. Can I just mount them to one side or the other?

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
The proper way to mount a submarine belt is actually centered under the seat.

This means it wraps around the front of the seat and comes up in your crotch trapping your body between it and the seat when in a crash.

Some race seats actually have a slot in them to pass the belt up through.

Charlie ::

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh yeah, now that you say that I remember seeing seats with the hole. How can I mount mine under the seat in a 65? Do I have to cut a hole from underneath in the "box" that my seat mounts in?

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
The "proper" way to mount restraints is to the roll cage structure of the car.

You could remove your seat (only 4 nuts) and use a piece of flat bar with a hole drilled in the center of it to clip the submarine belt into. Mount the flat bar by drilling two holes in it. Mount it between the front two seat studs sandwiched between the seat and floor. It would be nice and thin thus not messing up up seat arrangement.

Just an idea..

·
Registered
675 Posts
The rule of thumb is to follow the line of your chest downward to the floor and mount them there. If you aren't using seats with the slots in them then that's probably not as important since they have to pass in front of the seat cushion anyway...

68Restoman

1 - 5 of 5 Posts