Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My ‘65 has a T5 behind a late model 5.0. It has an aftermarket, scatter-shield type belhousing, which uses the Z-bar clutch mechanism.

I don’t really like the bellhousing for several reasons, so I was considering swapping to a Foxbody type of bellhousing, and a hydraulic clutch.

However, I recently looked at a ‘66 that was running a T5 with why appears to be a factory, Ford bellhousing, and the Z-bar clutch. So, now I have several questions:

1. What is this bellhousing? Is it a factory 4-speed bellhousing?

2. How hard are these bellhousinga to find, and what throwout bearing would this set-up use?

3. Could this set-up retain the 157-tooth, 50 oz-in bellhousing that would have originally behind my 5.0 engine?

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
34,144 Posts
Yes, you can run a T-5 with a factory period bellhousing and an adapter plate between the bellhousing and the transmission. It's a simple as that...with the T-5 crossmember, of course. The aluminum bellhousings are a dime-a-dozen since they were put behind just about ANY V8 with a manual (3 or 4 speed) transmission with a wide-pattern transmission from '65 on.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, you can run a T-5 with a factory period bellhousing and an adapter plate between the bellhousing and the transmission. It's a simple as that..
I’m not seeing an adapter plate in the pics I attached. It looks like the trans is bolted up straight to the bellhousing, like it would be with a Foxbody bellhousing.

·
Registered
796 Posts
That is a foxbody bell housing using a fulcrum adapter to utilize the factory clutch fork and zbar setup.

Attachments

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That is a foxbody bell housing using a fulcrum adapter to utilize the factory clutch fork and zbar setup.
Ahh, thank you!!!

I thought it looked like a Foxbody bellhousing, but having the fulcrum on the other side was blowing my mind.

Are those adapters still available? Are there any known issues with them, or are they reliable?

Which TO bearing gets used with that set-up?

·
Registered
796 Posts
It is just a 1x1x2 block placed 1" from the opening edge. I used my 3 speed bell housing fulcrum and made my own spacer. Easy.

This way you can use your existing Clutch fork and release bearing along with your factory zbar setup.

I ended up removing all that and went with a hyd clutch setup last summer.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Can I ask why? Just to remove the “clutter” of the Z-bar, or were you not happy with how it worked?
Partly because I could. My twin brother installed a Hyd clutch the year before and was impressed with the feel and lighter pedal (he used to run a cable clutch). Both of us built our own and did not buy a kit. We get a full 1.5" throw (factory T5 is approx 1.4") which a lot of the off-the-shelf hyd clutch kits do not get.

I had already reinforced my zbar due to it bending (on its maiden voyage none the less) and had it working pretty good. I did have a constant squeak due to the assist spring that I couldn't resolve. I also installed the Mustang Steve's bearing kit on my worn out pedal assembly which greatly increased the smoothness. Since I was contemplating which headers at the time, I figured what the heck, lets do it.

It really does work great and would put it above the zbar setup.

Here is a thread covering some of the hyd clutch install.
https://forums.vintage-mustang.com/mod-custom-forum/1099945-winter-project-hyd-clutch-1.html#post9504825

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Great thread. I’m an engineer too, so I enjoyed reading through it.

Tell me something....with your 1.5” of throw, and you running an “air gap” between your TO bearing, and pressure plate, or are you running them in contact?

I have another car with a T5 and a hydraulic clutch, and with a 7/8” bore on both the slave and master, I can not get the clutch to disengage with an air gap. A lot of people have told me to run the TO preloaded against the pressure plate, but it just doesn’t seem right to me.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Tell me something....with your 1.5” of throw, and you running an “air gap” between your TO bearing, and pressure plate, or are you running them in contact?

I have another car with a T5 and a hydraulic clutch, and with a 7/8” bore on both the slave and master, I can not get the clutch to disengage with an air gap. A lot of people have told me to run the TO preloaded against the pressure plate, but it just doesn’t seem right to me.
T5 release bearings are designed to have pre-load and that's what I have setup.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts