Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When converting to a five speed, what is the best transmission to use for a 68? What else is needed? can the stock z-bar be used? are there any good sites to read about 5 speed conversion?
Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
That depends what your intentions are. What motor are you using? The trans and parts you will need will vary depending on big block V8, Small block V8, 200 I6. I'm using a 5.0 and using a T5 out of a 91 GT. Everything bolted together great. You can use the stock Z-bar if you stick with the original style bell housing. If you want to convert to the late-model style, You can use a cable clutch or hydraulic. Give us a little more info to know what you are looking for.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a 289. I came across a Tremec T45 out of a cobra for a good price. Will this fit without modifying the trans tunnel? I plan on using 3.7 gears in rear with an auburn center section. Car will be used for cruise nights and some small trips.

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
You can use the Z-bar with either the 5.0L bell or the stock bell. You'll need a conversion x-member and a different starter, as well as a new speedo gear but everything else from a C4 auto car will work.

You're looking for an 87-95 V8 T5, or a 94-98 V6 T5. The T45 is a one piece case with a Mod motor bolt pattern.

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
I kept the stock Z-bar linkage BUT I strongly recommend that you have the Z-bar reinforced and use Heim jointer upper and lower rods. Opentracker can supply these.

And Mustang Steve will rollerize your pedals support bracket for you. About $85 and its a GREAT mod. If it is chewed up he can fix it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts