Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen alot of T-5 conversions on small blocks, but has anyone done one to a big block? Would they hold all the torque? Is there any other option on a big block car to have an overdrive with a stick shift?

·
Registered
228 Posts
First, it really matters more whether you can actually develop the torque. That's a traction issue. That being said, although you can make a T-5 fit behind a BBF, I would opt for a Tremec 3550, Tremec TKO, or a Richmond 6 speed. If you could find a bellhousing the Viper T-56 might be an option. The Tremecs use the same bolt pattern as a top-loader and you can have a shorter input shaft installed to make it bolt right in place of a top-loader except for the x-member.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
You could use a gforce t-5, they claim more strength than the tremec. Personally I Like the viper t56 idea.

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
I wouldn't put a garden-variety "world class" T-5 behind a 428. I've seen too many 5.0 Fox Body cars running street tires trash them.

Tremec, Richmond, or that monster T-5 Kent Ketell is using (built by company in PA, IIRC) would be my choices.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts