Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:: Does anyone know which type of harness will work with the high back 69 Mach 1seats? I think there is a Y type, a V type, and an individual type. Anybody have any experience using a racing harness with this type of seat without the cutouts near shoulder level to pass the shoulder belts through? Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Unfortunatly you will not find anything that will work properly with those seats. I will be replacing mine for that reason.

·
Registered
10,058 Posts
Since you have a 69, might I suggest a 69/70 Shelby rollbar? Then use either Shelby shoulder harness's or mount the 3" wide racing belts from it? Yeah, I know, expensive. I think Tony D Branda has this stuff new.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I bought a set of the Y harnesses a few years ago, but ended up not using them due to warnings from various belt manufacturers.

Pyrotect (a local company that makes safety equipment - look under the harness section) has the following disclaimer on their site:

DISCLAIMER - “Y” TYPE HARNESSES

“Y” TYPE HARNESS SYSTEMS PROVIDE A MINIMUM OF PROTECTION AT BEST - ALLOWING UP TO FOUR TIMES THE FORWARD MOVEMENT UNDER IMPACT OVER CONVENTIONAL INDIVIDUAL HARNESSES. THEY ARE PRONE TO CAUSING SPINAL INJURYS CAUSED BY “PENDULIUM” EFFECT AND MORE LIKELY TO SHEAR. WE DO NOT RECOMMEND THE USE OF A “Y” SYSTEM UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE. PYROTECT INDIVIDUAL HARNESS SYSTEMS EXCEED S.F.I. TESTING CRITERIA. (IFYOU CHOOSE TO IGNORE THIS WARNING WE SUGGEST THE MOUNTING POINT SHOULD BE DIRECTLY BEHIND THE DRIVER TO ELIMINATE LENGTH OF THE SINGLE WIDTH WEBBING) USER BEWARE.

I went with separate shoulder belts... Lately, I've been reading some info on exactly what happens and what the forces are in a collision and it's very scary! The most amazing thing is that most of the crashes that occur on the track aren't as violent as many street accidents!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts