Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
... for a local shop to cut off and then press a new bearing and I supplied the bearing? WTH!?

Cripes, I could have bought a press for the 100 bucks it cost me and done it myself. Live and learn I guess.

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
hey, im cheap so the last one i did i used my 4 1/2 inch grinder and got the old bearing off and then used an old steering column housing i had laying around and used a hand sledge to drive it on. still going as i then drove to washington dc and back with it. wes

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
The retainer can be removed by giving it one BIG shot with a cold chisel. This will open it just enough to slide it off. The bearing isn't as tight as the retainer, but probably won't come off without a press. You definitely need a press to install everything.

A shop press is one of those tools you'd love to have, but take up space and isn't used very much. I just scored a good used one for $100, long after I was past my need for it. :shrug:

If you decide not to get one, you can certainly shop around and find someone willing to help you out for a far more reasonable price.

I know it's too late for you, but this is advice might help someone else...

·
Registered
4,234 Posts
I just had the retainers removed from my old axles and new bearing pressed on my new axles as well as all the wheel studs...I supplied the parts. The labor only cost me $60.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts