Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello my names Mike D.

Here is where I will start my build thread.

Backround: I got my 64 1/2 mustang back in back in 2000. being 18 and owning my dream car was not it was cracked up to be. I had less money to build it than I wanted and no friend into vintage iron. Before this I had air cooled vws and watercooled most of my friend were watercooled vw heads. So I put the mustang in storage and only took it out for dates and light crusing.( only about 400 mile in the last ten years). In 07 I parked it and pickeled it. It has sat most of my time owning it. I have had many cars in this time around 57, lots of them turbos and must of them german. Im 29 now and have a 1 1/2 years old son I would like him to grow up with his dad driving vintage iron. So the long wait was worth it..
Everything happens for a reason.

Here are some bad pics of the car. I still have to tow it from storage.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
specs

Here is what i know about the car.
The last owner said he bored it out to a 302. i think a cam but not sure its been a long time. It has headman tube headers and nice exhaust. The c4 was rebuild and felt very nice last time I drove it some time in 07.

I have a flamming river quick steering box ( not installed)
and a baer ss+ bbig brake kit.( not installed)

·
Premium Member
2,447 Posts
Car looks like it's in great shape body-wise!

Just a few notes: It has a 66 grille and corral on it. Doesnt look like a 64 1/2 hood either. Do your headlight buckets have the bevels on the top of them? Looks like perhaps the entire front clip came from a 66.

Does your car have a generator or an alternator? Are your horns mounted in the engine compartment, or behind the grille? Do you have the battery cooling vents in the radiator support?

Just trying to help you identify if it is in fact a 64 1/2 or a 65.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
my title says 64...registraion say 64.

I know the grill is wrong. I think I check the hood and bucket and they where 64 but could be wrong it was over ten years ago..

I will get you all the pic of these thing when i get it out of storage. ( have wait for my cusins truck to get back)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a 64 masterclinder, black hindges, vents in front of my battery and it was a gen car I still have the gen...
so we can call it a 64...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
wheels im ordering

too use my baer brakes i need 17s ..

front .....Wheel, Soft 8, Steel, Black, 17 in. x 8 in., 5 x 4.5 in. Bolt Circle, 4.5 in. Backspace, Each
back ....Wheel, Soft 8, Steel, Black, 17 in. x 9 in., 5 x 4.5 in. Bolt Circle, 5 in. Backspace, Each

·
Premium Member
2,447 Posts
Wow, look at the brackets to put an alternator on it. Cool. Makesure you dont throw out any of the parts you take off of that car!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
got her home

Last night around 8 I towed my mustang home after many (too many ) years is storage.

I dont know if any purists should watch my thread. I will be changing some things on this car that they wont like.

Ya I still have the gen and cast headers.

·
Registered
307 Posts
yeah save the generator and brackets and get rid of that crazy alternator adapter bracket system, lol. Does look like the hood and buckets were changed out in the photo.

One point not yet stated, you cannot bore a 289 and get 302, there's not enough wall to bore to gain that much. Now he could have swapped in a 302 crank however, essentially stroking the 289 to 302. No biggy, just saying.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So my old lady washed my baby..came home too this ..

thanks. The motor pass down was a long time ago.

photos of my 64ness... master with sensor on it ..

battery vents ....

Ive read that not all 64 1/2 have the beveled bucket...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
little by little

so i swapped out the rear wheels with 2 16x7 crown vic lsc wheels.

i got her to fire up.. i miss how loud she is..

went to the mustang shop in chandler and picked up throttle linkage rebuild . so nice no more play.

can anyone post pics of the return spring set up?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
updates

well I have started the reviving process .. She fired up and my linkage and springs on my carb were all fubar. So drove down to the mustang shop in chandler and picked up rebuild kit for my linkage and dual spring kit.

I pulled the 66 corral off and painted the grill looks much better.

I have put on my crown vic lsc rear wheels ( i need two more) . and some ssr front with to much BS.

I talked to baer brake and new rotors are almost as much as a stock style kit. so i dont know what im going to do as of now on brakes.

the new streering box is still on the back burnner untill i get the wheels set and her running good

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
more updates/ parts

Well I troll craigslist for parts all the time.. Just found this 3 miles from my house. 50 bucks.for a very nice alum rad.
..alum rad

waiting on install till i work out a electric fan setup.

So I had theses seats from a build I did like 3 years ago just sitting. So I thought I'd try the spray fabric dye ( they had a lot of green) . It worked very well. Ill get before and after pics up on my days off.
..seat

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
the WHEELS

well the wheels are finally here...

As I said before ive done a lot of german ladys and have owned many bbs and other split rims.

but credit for these goes to a good volvo buddy and fellow wheel whore. JESSE.

He found me vintage GOTTI wheels o75p off a 67 Shelby GT350. on ebay non the less.

FRONT 15 x 6.5 bs 3.5 1.5 lip will go wider lips maybe barrels
REAR 15 x 7.5 bs 4.5 1.5 lip will go wider lips

fronts with tires.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So I have not posted in a min but I have been working on the mustang ..
I was trying to get her to run and wasn’t filling the fuel bowl .
I checked the fuel line.. It was hard to blow thought and I couldn’t suck fuel from the tank .. So I removed all the fuel from the tank and cleaned the hard body line with carb cleaner and alcohol. The line is clear now. I installed new rubber lines with inline filters after the tank. And from the hard line to the fuel pump…
I was getting low pressure out of the pump so I replaced it. I now have fuel but my carb is leaking out my throttle shaft. and power valve. I read I lot of right ups on carb re-building. Got super depressed that I might have to find a new carb autolite 2100. But I rebuilt it and reset everything on the carb. And no more leak. Happiness.
Now she is running good I get my brother to hold the throttle open to so I could get out and tune the idle. He says there is water coming out of the motor.. I look and the water pump is leaking out the face. So I poke it with a pick and it lets lose water is now spraying out .. So new water pump. I get one and install it.. Now she runs like a champ. Im running CLR through the system. Then fresh distilled water and coolant.
I want to change the diff oil and trans oil and the motor oil one more time.
Still need to change the steering box and install front brake kit..
But she's getting closer every day.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
work slowly

So over the pass months it got really hot in az. So the work I do on the mustang has gone down . But cooler weather is here and the projects begin again.

motor has been cleaned up and the alum rad install came to a stop when the fan ran into the water pump nose. but here is how it looks in the car.

the therm switch came out nice I think..

I might grind down the nose on the water pump and see if that helps.

Now being depressed about the fan. I wanted to do somthing ive have gone back and forth in my mind for years ..

Fender stripes.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
more projects.

so i started looking at the front and the bumper grands had to go ..
( ill get pic soon)

and the started looking at the back and I still havent reinstalled the lock or made a block off plate so that will ge done soon..

again this is some thing that i have gone back ang forth in my head about for years and just bit the bullet and did it ..

Black covers

The housings were in bad shape.. so a little time and paint they came out good. I wish I took a shot of the backs ..

gaskets.

insides.

backs painted.

inside painted with reflective paint super shiny in the sun.

The back is all torn aprt what should i do with it..

clean it? YA.

Paint it? Heck Ya.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
steering box

cars up in the air and im pulling the box this week and replacing it with the flaming river one i have.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
its out!!!

So I tried and tried to get the pitman arm off. I had no luck 2 different pullers heat and hammering would not get it off. I had a buddy come up from Tucson and we managed to pull the steering box out with pitman arm still on. I have read this is not possible. But we did it WOO! I have headman headers and small master cylinder that might have help with more room.

So out with old and in with the new. My flaming river quick steering box I bought 8 years ago is finally going in.

I still have to pick up a new steering column seal and remove the pitman arm.

Rear rims are going down to Tucson to get tries put on them so ill have the full set on the mustang.

I still haven’t solved the electric fan problem. I might just put on a stock one for now. But I really want a thin fan for the mustang .

1 - 20 of 21 Posts