Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at tires today and realized that many more tires exist in a 50 series than in a 60 series for a 15 inch rim. Is anybody out there running a 50 series tire on a 15 inch rim on their classic Mustang? How does it look?

I was thinking that the sidewall would be too short to look decent on an old Mustang, but I'm still curious. Lots of high-performance tires are available in the 225/60R-15 size.

-Joseph Knight

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
I run 225-50-15s on styled steel wheels front and rear on my 66 Fastback. The car is lowered one and a half inches front and rear and has slightly rolled fender lips front and rear.

The look is subtly different, but unless you know early Mustangs well, you wouldn't know that the car was modified. It just looks more "muscular" than a stock Mustang.

Sorry I don't have a link to a picture of the way the car looks with this set up, but I can email you a shot when I get home tonight.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
That amount of sidewall shown is dependent on how wide the tire is, that's why that number is referred to the 'aspect ratio' as it is a percentage of how wide the tire is. A 50 series tire will be much taller for a 275 tire than it will for a 225 tire, and a 275/50/15 will have just a hair more side wall than a 225/60/15

A 225/50/15 will show almost an inch less of sidewall AND the overall diameter of the tire will be almost 2 inches shorter (compared to a 225/60/15)- meaning higher RPM's, less room taking up your wheel wells, but better steering response. But could be harder traction on rear tires since a lower profile tire means less flex in the sidewall, but that is probably negligible in this case.

Maybe you could go for a little wider tire if you want to have more sidewall? What size do you have on their now?

Chaz

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have 225 60-15's all the way around right now.

I wouldn't mind the diameter change from a performance standpoint, as going to a 225/50-15 would give me an effectively lower gear ratio, making my car with 3.00 highway gears accelerate a little quicker.

I am mainly concerned about the way they would look, particularly, that they'd look out of place on a '70 fastback. But they could look cool, I guess, if the car was low enough...right?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Really like your fastback, by the way! I always thought the base model grille looked better than the mach 1 on 71-73 Mustangs, but you have the NASA hood, too, which gives you the best of both worlds! Looks good.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Thanks man! I've thought the same thing too ;)

I had 225/60/14's on the front and 235/60/14's on the rear of my car for years until just a couple weeks ago.

If you do go with the smaller tire, I think you can make up for it by dropping the car an inch or so. But it may look fine to be honeset.

But they do still make the 225/60/15's. BFGoodrich Radial T/A are still available in that size and Goodyear Eagle GT makes 235/60/15's. Both are raised white letter as well.

But, yes, you will notice a little more umph if you go with the shorter tires.

Chaz

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
I'm an old school guy and personally don't care for the look of low profile tires. On a 14 or 15 inch diameter wheel, any 50 series tire on anything less than a 275 width looks "out of place". This is just my personal opinion, though.

On my '66, I have 225/60/15's in back and 205/60/15's in front, all on 15x7 wheels.

On my '69, I have 275/50/15's in back and 225/60/15's in front, all on 15x8 wheels. The 275/50's are 1/2" taller than the 225/60's.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
I solo on 225/5015s. To see a pic, go to www.nworscca.com, click on photo gallery, then find the Sept 3, 2006 event. There are 3 pics of my car on page 4.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Here's my car with 225/50/15's on all 4 corners.

Tim

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
I'm a big supporter of the 225/50/15's on all 4 corners. I might be a bit old school :eek:

·
Registered
316 Posts
2Bav8,
I think that actually makes you "new" school, as them are low tires.

BTW, I see your pic of a 347 vee. Anyone know of a place that makes 347 fender emblems? I would like them on my rig.

Chris

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
akeyzoo,

I don't know anyone that makes a 347 V8 emblem unfortunately. I'd snatch one up quick if someone did though.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have 295/50/15s on mine

1 - 15 of 15 Posts