Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have raced and crashed them, usually junkers. I'm what you call a butcher just want to go fast. I now have the funds and I'm currently rebuilding my GT 67 S-code Fastback. My motors pushing over 500HP any suggestions on how to properly strengthen the frame. Smooth the ride anything you can think of. Even horror stories on things you tried that didn't work. My buddies each have their own opinion on what's right, their butchers too. :horror: This car is my keeper and I intend to take my kids for short rides in this one . I'm looking to build this one to be SAFE and fast, I'd like to do it the right way. :wall:

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Start with subframe connectors (TCP, Maier Racing or just about any Mustang catalog will have them listed). However, don't forget one of the most important things.........BRAKES. Good ones are needed to tame 500 ponies.

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
Well....I drove mine under a truck at 70 MPH...and walked away without a scratch and was able to rebuild the car with not too much effort.

1. Export Brace
2. MC Bar
3. Sub Frames
4. 2 front torque boxes
5. A motor so tight on the shock towers there aint no where for sheet metal to go ;)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the tips, it's more about keeping it Pony worthy and fun for the kids. I'm using a 4 speed Top Loader. It has the original Heavy duty Linkage. I have a local telling me to change it to Hurst shifter, he even offered me a $100 for the old linkage. I'm considering it. The brakes are the original set up so I might change the rear to discs. Maybe I'll upgrade the front discs too.
As for the sub-frame connectors I saw bolt on and weld on styles. I prefer welding them into place, is their such a thing as overkill. Thanks again for the replies.

·
Registered
315 Posts
You can use the bolt on ones. Bolt them on then weld them up, I figure if something bad happens and the welds break, the bolts will keep the subs from pole vaulting the car or even just tearing it up.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Is a 500 HP car family friendly? Only if you're the Muensters!! :horror:

But seriously, don't let anyone drive it if they can't handle that kind of power. 500 horses can get you into trouble really quick if you don't respect them.

If you use a quiet set of mufflers, use anti-squeak pads between assembled panels and add some sound deadener, the car should be quite pleasant to ride around in. Then you can stomp on it at a green light and make all your passengers crap themselves :lol:

Have Fun!

·
Premium Member
2,056 Posts
I would go with the Hurst also but you can’t buy a used original shifter for $100 let alone the Hurst. By all means the brakes are the most important part of your car. What good is the HP if your running manual drum brakes.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Muensters Huh @#!# :chainsaw:
I've been called worse. My neighbors are pretty tolerant to my nonsense. Scaring the @#!out of them, now thats an Idea!!! :biggrin:

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Is a 500 HP car family friendly? Only if you're the Muensters!! :horror:

But seriously, don't let anyone drive it if they can't handle that kind of power. 500 horses can get you into trouble really quick if you don't respect them.

If you use a quiet set of mufflers, use anti-squeak pads between assembled panels and add some sound deadener, the car should be quite pleasant to ride around in. Then you can stomp on it at a green light and make all your passengers crap themselves :lol:

Have Fun!
500+HP family car...........got one check signature. ::

·
Registered
446 Posts
I have said it more than once, TIN MAN FABRICATIONS their sub frame connectors look stock.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Doesn't the 67 have only one torque box? I am thinking you could add the other , the inside rocker plates and the tubular subframe conector/ "X" member (welded in).

When the tires actually hooked up, my built Cleveland, 450+ hp with 4 sp twisted the hell out of my 68. I had tied frames but no X support.

Ditto on the good brakes!

Dave

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
I'm using a 4 speed Top Loader. It has the original Heavy duty Linkage. I have a local telling me to change it to Hurst shifter, he even offered me a $100 for the old linkage.
LOL I bet he offered you $100 for it! It would probably go for about $250 on e-bay! LOL

1 - 12 of 12 Posts