Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just for my personal referance, how much of a load can one place on a 1968 mustang chasis before you must worry about frame and body damage. For instance am I tempting fate with a 500 hp motor in a stock body? I intend to add the traction bars and sub frame connectors, but am I pushing the envelope?

·
Registered
628 Posts
With traction bars and sub frame connectors I think you'd be alright, but I'm sure someone else could give you better input on this.

Id be more worried about your transmission/rear end/suspension personally.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Transmission is a t4 toploader, the rear has a 9" 3.50, soon to be upgraded to posi, unfortunatly it's 28 spline though. The suspension is still stock.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good. After spending several thousand on the motor I was not looking forward to dropping a few more on body reinforcement.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
You may have already done this, but I also added a Monte Carlo bar and export brace. They are usually added for handling, but I figure that anything that tightens up the unibody is good when adding real HP.

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
Just install some 620 coil springs from any stang shop with new spring perches and a 1/ 1/8 inch sway bar and you should be good to go!!!!

try and make things aluminum to lighten the load....like....valve covers, water pump, radiator, intake, you get the picture.

ANd make sure your tie rods are in good shape

1 - 7 of 7 Posts