Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WOOOHOOO!
I finally got tired of not seeing in my garage, and I installed 3 2-lamp, 8 foot, high energy output, flouroescent fixtures in my garage for a total of 54,000 lumens (9,000 per lamp x 6).

The two 100 watt lights (3,380) lumens total I did have, just didn't cut the ice. I now have 16 times the light I had. I almost need sunglasses to see! Cost me $160.00 bucks, but now I don't need a halogen light following me around to see.

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
Isn't it nice to have the proper equipment to work with. Did the same thing several years ago for the same reason, no looking back now.

68 GT500
68 1/2 CJ Coupe

MCA# 18519

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
You wouldn't have to kill for that kind of lighting in CA, however, since the ever so helpful PUC just raised our rates, the lighting bill would kill you.
Around here being in the dark is the only way we can afford to buy parts for our toys!!

69 Grande Coupe

G

·
0 Posts
I take it you don't live in CA??

Thanks,

Mike
'66 Springtime Yellow Coupe
289, slightly warmed over
driven daily

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Hell yes, I can't imagine approval of a 40% rate hike in anything overnight...Looks like personal power generation may be viable soon.

G

·
0 Posts
And the mustang gods said ... let there be light!

1967 Fastback, 289, C-code, AT, PS,
dark moss green, parchment interior,
GT rear valance and tips

·
Registered
660 Posts
Well I hope you bought "cold" operating flourescents fixtures if you live in a cold climate. If not,those babies will be flickering
like a strobe light in a John Travolta movie. The flashing will cause you to suffer epileptic seizures.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I mounted the lights, 1 in front of the car parallel to back wall, and the other 2 along side of the car, outward about 2 1/2 feet from car (parallel to side walls of garage. They thus form a U shape around the front to sides of the car. They are hung from the ceiling. The one in front is only about 1 foot from the wall so as not to be obstructed and let the light under the hood with the hood raised. It's great. Got them from Lowes hardware @ $39.00 apiece, and got the better grade lamps from WW Grainger for $6.95 each with our company discount.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, the fixture and lamps are rated to -20 deg F. Thus they should work fine. It got cold here a couple of days ago, 20 F and they were dimmer for the first minute, but after they warmed up after a minute or so, they looked to be nearly 100%.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts