Vintage Mustang Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1966 Mustang Coupe
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Upon further investigation, this is not the stock head. From what I can find those casting numbers are for a 250 head, is that correct? if that is correct then I think that 2v DGEV carb would work pretty good?

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
I think the 69+ (C9 in that casting number) heads are the same for the 250 and 200. At least if I'm reading the Falcon Six Performance Handbook right. So that's the better flowing "large log" head, so that's a good thing. It also has a 1.75" hole under the carb, versus the 1.5" one on the original head so that should help too.

The downside is that that's going to require a different carb adapter than the original head so you'll have to keep that in mind when you're looking for parts. You can't just buy whatever's listed for a 66 Mustang.

More info on the heads (since I am by no means an expert and didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night):

·
Registered
1966 Mustang Coupe
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
In your picture of the carb, the scv is directly left of the distributor vacuum line. I don’t think the new carb would have it but your link only shows one view.

Guess you decided not to disable the scv on your carb.
Yeah that a good point, I probably should at least try to disable the scv on the carb before forking out a bunch of money for a new one. How would I go about disabling it? I have done a couple of searches and have not been able to find any info.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
12,011 Posts
Yeah that a good point, I probably should at least try to disable the scv on the carb before forking out a bunch of money for a new one. How would I go about disabling it?
From threads I've read on the forum it is more involved than merely removing the SCV and installing a plug. You have to actually go inside the carb body and plug off some internal passageways.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Couldn't he just leave the SCV alone, block the external port on the carb and run the distributor to the manifold distribution block below it?

If the port's blocked the SCV shouldn't hurt anything just sitting there with nothing attached to it should it?

21 - 27 of 27 Posts