Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all.

I have a 67 FB with a 200. When I got the car in the early 90's it had been rebuilt by Ford in 1976. I did a rebuild in 1995. I want to rebuild it and get some power of it. I have come across a few web links but they dont really give you a guide and how to. Anyone here have a good suggestion? Thanks to all.

Lewis

·
Registered
637 Posts
A great place to start is here: http://fordsix.com/forum/

Somewhere there is a great thread where a guy posts about rebuilding a 200 at his house. It's a couple pages and has some great info. Also check out the 'machine shops' sub-forum, you might find a builder near you. Building sixes is a bit specialized and a shop that does great V8's might struggle with a six, so be careful.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the Info. I have tried FordSix but do get relinked to other websites. I will be careful on who does my engine of course. A Mechanic who works on V8 might not specialize in straight 6.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I tried Classic Inlines. I sent them all my info. The reply was questions that were already answered with my info. I felt it was automated and placed answers with keywords one provided

·
Registered
115 Posts
Fiend of mine had his 200 rebuild at AHM Performance in Baltimore. They decked it, put flat top pistons in it, get bigger Valves, new springs and a new cam, combined with Clifford Exhaust divider and a Carb-Adapter worked in the intake-log for a 2barrel

And that motor runs..:)

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
1) Buy the Ford Falcon Performance Handbook
2) Read the Tech section on classicinlines.com from start to finish.
3) Be prepared to spend money. It costs twice as much to build a performance I6 than it does a V8. And yes, I have done both.

·
Registered
9,104 Posts
I tried Classic Inlines. I sent them all my info. The reply was questions that were already answered with my info. I felt it was automated and placed answers with keywords one provided
Did you post in the forums? I don't spend much time there, because it seems like the same questions get asked every day (and I spend enough time on the VMF). Try the search function because you will probably find what you need. Much like the VMF, there are many knowledgeable members there. One of them is building an awesome supercharged I6. It is a work of art.

I am going to convert my Mustang to a V8/4speed setup. I want power, and a mildly built 351W will get me there much faster than an I6. I will save my I6 parts because I would love to put it in an early Falcon.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
I agree with TheDude. Post in the fordsix.com forum. It's not as busy due to the simple fact that they are a specialized group. Really nice guy's, usually quick to answer and helped me tremendously in my engine build.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Why send him away? He has a Mustang-Motor and needs Power.. and a L6 is no Miracle....Just the head is a bad point

As said, AHM did a great job..... and a non-expensive....

Take Cast-Flattop pistons, try find an adjustable ValveTrain, make a balance Job and build a 2Barrel Adapter on it (taht where you need a bigegr hole, not that 2 barrel in a 1barrel openig)
and buy a set of headers.. and you will have fun enough

BTW: I think under your hood will fit a 250, maybe a 240. Not that high-Revolvers but nice punch from the bottom.... Problem at the 250 is Vallve-Size

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
The 6 popularity is growing. Check out this link. It is not a Mustang link, but a Falcon link, but ALL of the 6 cyl info applies:

• View topic - End of an Era

This is a great site for info on the Ford 6 engines, and they are pretty friendly too.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts