Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help- I will try to make this short. My mom has a 66 6 cyl convertible and I have a 66 6cyl coupe. Her starter drive had gone out, I volunteered to buy a new starter and give her mine that seemed to be working fine.

So I put my starter on her car which started great, took hers to the parts store for a core and put the new one on mine, but the new one seemed to be hitting on something in the bell housing, I guessing the torque converter??? In addition the new starter on my car blew the solenoid.

When I pulled the new starter from my car the end of the starter that is somewhat flat anyway was scarred up. I then tryed the new starter on mom's car and it worked great, put my old one back on my car and probably needed a new solenoid.

Everyone is running again but what do I do if my starter goes out. I still have what I believe to be a correct Cruise-0-Matic as it shifts correctly from the green dot but has someone changed my torque converter which is hitting on the stock starter?

The moral of the story, last Saturday would have been a little less agrivating if I had just given mom the new one. Don't skimp on mommy's car.

Thanks

·
Registered
483 Posts
Greetings,

I replaced the starter on my wifes 260 V8 (64 1/2) earlier this year. While it's not the same, and I didn't have any problems with it, I do remember a note coming with the new starter that said something about the fit having to be good, and that if it wasn't right then I would need shims. Did you get any such paperwork with your starter? Did your starter physically match the new one?

I hope that this helps,

Z.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Did you shim it and make sure it was lining up properly. That might have been the problem.

Slade

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
a more important item is never swap parts unless absolutely necessary - you are only swapping problems.

·
Registered
333 Posts
It can't be hitting the torque converter, that is on the back of the flywheel. Was it making a banging sound related to engine speed? That happened to me (I also have an I6) when I replaced a starter. First, when you put the starter in, it should be a snug fit into the hole. I noticed that with the 3 bolts started I was able to rotate the starter CW and CCW just a bit, from the bolt holes in the starter being just a little bigger than the bolts. I loosened the bolts, rotated the starter to what seemed to be the center of the holes, tightend it down, ran it and the noise was gone. I did post this problem, somebody replied that it may have been hitting a high spot on the flywheel gear. It has been fine ever since.

·
Premium Member
4,935 Posts
Is there a difference in the transmissions
on the two cars? One a automatic and the
other a manual? Seems like I remember that
they might be different. You could set them
side by side and check the length of the nose
to compare them and see if they are different.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts