Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1966 with a 6 cylinder engine. I need to rebuild the carb. It is an Autolite 1 bbl. Is this the same as a Ford 1100 carb? The numbers I have found on it are DOPF-9510K and below that is 4529 OCA

Just found some kits but the ones that show carb numbers don't have any of those numbers.

Thanks

·
Registered
5,367 Posts
That is a replacement carb. Yes, the standard 1100 kit will work just fine. Get the Ford kit. Other kits are not good on the gasket fits. The 1100 is unique in that it performs some of the advance/retard of the distributor through ported vacuum. Clean it really really well. I use Easy-Off for the majority of the crud, followed by a Simple Green dip to get into the passages. Don't leave either overnight. If you choose to use the easy off do so in a well ventilated area with rubber gloves.

·
Registered
9,042 Posts
The only Other kits that are as good as the Motorcraft kits are the Standard Motor Parts "HYGRADE" Rebuild kits...

:eek:)

Tony K.

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
I just ran the numbers. The OP has the Holley 1 barrel service replacement carb model H1-1940. It is most definitely NOT the original 1100.

The rebuild kit is not the same. Not even close. It is also not a SCV carb, so you may not have the right distributor to work with it either.

Please post pics of the carb and inside of the distributor so we can better advise you on what you need to do.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I looked at the carb kit that the link had. It is not exactly the same. The float is different and the needle and seat is different. As far as the distributor goes, I have already put a electronic kit in it. It does have the vacuum line that goes up to the carb. And it has the dashpot or what ever you call it. I will get some pics and post them.
Thanks

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
I looked at the carb kit that the link had. It is not exactly the same. The float is different and the needle and seat is different. As far as the distributor goes, I have already put a electronic kit in it. It does have the vacuum line that goes up to the carb. And it has the dashpot or what ever you call it. I will get some pics and post them.
Thanks
The parts you need should be these:

https://www.carburetor-parts.com/search.html?keyword=1940

The original carb was likely a Spark Control Valve (SCV) carb. The matching distributor would have a vacuum advance, but no mechanical advance.

The Holley carb you have does not have a SCV so you need the later IMCO distributor with mechanical and vacuum advance systems. From pics we can identify what you have.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
So even tho it says Autolite on it, it is a Holley?
Yes sir, even it says Autolite it’s a Holley 1940 replacement model. I know that because my little Six also came with this carburetor. Then I get a correct Autolite 1100 and replaced it,

Josep

Attachments

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Can you post a picture of your carb just to be sure you have an 1100?

Back in high school, when my car was still an I6, it had the Autolite 1100. I had trouble with it even after rebuilding and trying a few exchanged remans. The needle would fall down or they would just flood all the time. I ended up ordering a new one from a place called Pony Carbs, but I think that place is no longer in business. Anyway, It ran prefect and smooth etc after that.

The Holley 1940 is a replacement carb. My friend's 66 I6 had one. Having worked with both, I prefer the Autolite.

There are different versions for automatic and manual transmission.

https://forums.vintage-mustang.com/...637808-should-i-ditch-holley-1940-1100-a.html

Found on another thread.
Begining 1970 Holley 1940 1-BBL carb's were "REPLACEMENT" only for Auotlite 1100's. They were NEVER installed as OEM equipment on anything
Ford.

·
Registered
5,367 Posts
For reference, any carb that has 'PF' as the third and fourth place characters is a generic replacement. Hate I missed it was a 1940. That is a good carb, but as stated, the 200 had a 'combined' advance system where the carb and the distributor must match type wise. Ford ran that motor from 63 to 83 so there's plenty of distributors that don't require the 1100 as the mate.

·
Registered
9,042 Posts
"So even tho it says Autolite on it, it is a Holley?"

In the case of some of the 1940 carbs and a few others... Yes.

Since Holley was a direct Supplier to Ford at one time in the 60's and Early 70's, These Specific Holley Carbs were stamped "Autolite"....even though they were NOT Autolite carbs.

:eek:)

Tony K.

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
Ok, that confirms it is a Holley 1940 as sold by Ford service departments when they ran out of 1100s. The good news is that it is a SCV version. Not too many of those out there. You also have the correct SCV distributor. But I must say the dizzy is looking pretty rough. Probably worth cleaning and lubing it. You might consider sending it to the Mustang Barn for a full checkout and recurve.

Some folks love the 1940, others prefer the original 1100. Since you have the 1940 unless you want an 1100 to maintain originality, I would rebuild what you have and get it all tuned up and running well.

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
So even tho it says Autolite on it, it is a Holley?
Holley has been making carbs for Ford since Henry hired them to build carbs for the Model T. I believe they produced the 2100 and 4100 as well as many others over the years. Until the 70s the carbs were marked as Ford, Autolite, etc. In the mid 70s they started marking them as Holley, even when original equipment. I have a 1979 6 cyl block with large log head In my 66. It has an OEM Holley carb.

Holley built the 1940 for use by many companies (Jeep, AMC, Ford, etc.) which is why it’s referred to as a Holley not a Ford. All the rebuild kits etc refer to it as a Holley.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for all the replies. I just ordered a rebuild kit. Now that I know what it is.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts