Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
161 Posts
Well I learned the hard way there are 2 different sized torque converter splines. I was not on this forum when I put my 289 in & was never a Ford guy. I asked a bunch of different people & done a lot of googling every one said the six trans will be fine just use the V8 converter. I had a friend over helping me & he put the converter in & it slid right in. It was all good until we started it & put it in gear. :bitch: That is when I read more and learned about the different sized splines. GRRR Well it ended up with a V8 trans in it a couple days later.

· Registered
161 Posts
the difference is TQ splines has to do with the year of the transmission rather than what it came behind. you cant use a 1970 TQ in a 1969 transmission.

as for the rest, the clutch packs have one less clutch in them, the servos tend to be a bit smaller, etc. you can add back the one clutch in each clutch pack though, and you can change to the larger servo pistons as well in some instances.

but even if you just rebuild what you have and upgrade the better components, ie better clutch packs, the six cylinder C4 will handle a mild 302 in normal day to day driving, and even the occasional ragging at the strip(that means a couple times a year, not every other week).
Both cars I pulled apart were 68 models. I know my car was original & the other one was supposed to be I know the tags on the rear end & motor were but maybe some one had changed the trans along the way. Mine was 24 spline & the other was 26. Any way now that I learned the hard way I will always check if I do any more Fords.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.