Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, want to post this before I go re inventing the wheel again.. I currently have a modified brake set up from Mustang Steve, drum spindles with 2005+ calipers. I had a custom spacer made that allows me to run crown vic rotors, barely clearing 16 inch rims. I would like to go back to 15 inch. My question, has any one modified the Mustang Steve kit to use 15 inch rims. I want to keep the 12.5 inch rotors. has any one gone with one of the low profile 6 piston calipers and fit them inside a 15 inch wheel? Looks like it could work..Wilwood 120-10133 DP6, possibly??

Thanks

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
You likely have a small chance with one of Wilwood's 4 piston calipers, but I don't know. You are likely going to have to reinvent the wheel on that combo if a 6 piston is a must. The Lincoln rotor + a modern 4 piston forged Caliper will likely give you a net improvement in your braking and in to your 15" rims. 1.25" rotors will help over the 0.8x" factory stuff I think.

Talk to Cobra Automotive, they, or their customers have likely done everything that can be done while staying in "vintage" classes (IE 15" rims)

·
Registered
1,901 Posts

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I beleive SoT's kits are basically Shaun's assembled version of a Trans Am kit using un-labeled Wilwood calipers. Could be wrong, maybe he will chime in or maybe this is too much detail ....

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Mutang,
Take a ride up to mooresville and look at NASCAR takeoffs. They run giant brakes in a 15" wheel.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yea, I have thought about that. There are a few issues with the nascar stuff. Even used theyare plenty expensive. They use larger wheel studs, normally a 5 on 5 bolt pattern. The calipers are really nice though. Pads are huge plentiful and cheap.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Got into some more serious measuring and mock up this weekend. I borrowed a wheel and tire from a dirt track racer friend of mine, Hoosier 25.5X8X15, was thinking it would be a slam dunk for the front. Removed the caliper and bolted it on and wow was it big! Barely cleared, may work with a different rim. I have it in a 15X8 with 4 inch back spacing, I think 4.5 back spacing would work. The thing about this Hoosier tire, not only is it tall, but really wide! It is only an 8 inch tread, but the tire itself is over 11 inches wide at the side wall.

My question is: has anyone run Hoosier asphalt racing tires on a road course? I have access to a supply fairly cheap and was curious if they were worth the effort. I was thinking about an 26.5X8X15 mounted on a 15X8 rim with 4.5 bs on the front and an 27X11X15 mounted on a 15X10 rim with 5 bs on the back. I admit the tire looks really good, very period correct which is what I am looking for. If these aren't worth the effort I know there are a lot more choices.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
I would try the tires. How bad could they be?
Worst case, you could soak them to soften them up.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
If F1 fits a 6 piston caliper on an 11" rotor in a 13" wheel, I think an old hot rodder could figure out a bracket to fit most any caliper to fit inside a 15" wheel.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update, Hoosier 27X11X15 mounted on a 15X10 rim with 5 bs on the back fit! And do they look cool! Very period correct. I am going to try them on the front later (front is disassembled for new brake caliper fabrication, but worse case is 26.5X8 on the front and 27X11 on the back. My only concern is they are bias ply tires. Never been on track with bias ply and the last time I drove on a bias ply tire I was 17. They still race on them so they must be OK. I'm thinking I may have to play with camber and tire pressure to get it right.

·
Registered
7,836 Posts
Update, Hoosier 27X11X15 mounted on a 15X10 rim with 5 bs on the back fit! And do they look cool! Very period correct. I am going to try them on the front later (front is disassembled for new brake caliper fabrication, but worse case is 26.5X8 on the front and 27X11 on the back. My only concern is they are bias ply tires. Never been on track with bias ply and the last time I drove on a bias ply tire I was 17. They still race on them so they must be OK. I'm thinking I may have to play with camber and tire pressure to get it right.
The bias tires are very different than the radials. The radials stick...stick...stick and then let go. The bias tires are happiest when they're sliding.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
So what are the details of your new setup?

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Hey, wilwood superlite 6r piston on the front and wilwood dynalite 4 piston in the back. The rotors are iron 12.19X1.25 F and 11.75X1.25 R. Used BK1023R Mustang Front Disc Brake Caliper Bracket 1964-67 and had a piece machined to work with the radial mount bracket.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts