Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was lucky enough to find an almost unused 6 pot 68 hardtop for a few hundred $. Only problem is its been stood for a long time and the engine is totally seized. Rather than try and get the old 6-pot working I would like to install a 289 or larger v8. Could anyone offer some advice on whether this is possible or recommended? Apart from the drivetrain and front springs what other components need uprating?

I am new to the world of mustang ownership so any advice is greatly appreciated!

Darryl

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
I swapped a 6 t0 an 8 in a `66, you will need a lot of little stuff that can be very costly. I ended up finding a V8 donor car not only for parts, but it was very handy to see how things actually went together.
you should try the search feature, there is a wealth of info on this subject as it has come up several times

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
My car was originally a 6. A donor car is the way to go. You will have to change the radiator, steering linkage, rear end and front brakes (If 68's ran small brakes (4 lugs) on 6 bangers). There will be some wiring modifications and accelerator linkage issues as well.

If your car is solid, and you can find a donor, there is no reason not to do it.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice, I've now found the previous dicussions on this topic (you're right, this has been covered a few times before!).

I can see a lot of info on 65/66 swaps but I haven't seen anyone mention 67/68 cars. Does anyone know if there any significant diffeence between the upgrade on a 67/68 car?

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
I considered the good ol' V8 swap as well when I first bought my car. I did the math, and to do a swap CORRECTLY, it'll cost $7,500 or so, depending on your resourcefulness with part aquisitions.

When you get your precious V8 running, bring it over here and we'll run and you can look at my two tailpipes coming from one side of the engine as I smoke your weak V shaped engine. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
Hey Mike, you get my latest reply to your email?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts