Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This idea popped into my head this afternoon after watching some videos of a 2011 Mustang w/ the 6 speed automatic running a 9.95 quarter mile time on stock internals.

Does anyone think the 6R80 could easily be bolted up to a Fox Body 5.0? I'm sure it will be an easy transmission to find in a junked 2011 eventually.

·
Registered
5,043 Posts
Since the bell is integral to the case, no.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
are there other auto transmissions that will bolt up other than just a 4 speed auto or AOD / AODE ? I'd like a 5 or 6 speed auto in my 68 also :)

·
Registered
121 Posts
are there other auto transmissions that will bolt up other than just a 4 speed auto or AOD / AODE ? I'd like a 5 or 6 speed auto in my 68 also :)
How about a 5R55(S,N or W)?

Performance Automatic - Pro Fit Bellhousings

Bauman sells a stand-alone electronic controller for these. It certainly wouldn't be an inexpensive swap though. By the way, these have fantastic ratios for a street car: For instance, the 5R55W - 3.22, 2.41, 1.55, 1.00 and 0.75 in overdrive. (With a typical rear gear of 3.0 you'd have approximately the same final drive as C-4 backed by a 3.90 rear!)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Any new info on this stuff? 6R80 or 5r55S,N, or W Has anyone done this? My question is if the 6r80 mounts are the same as the Coyote?

·
Registered
21,011 Posts
Who is it that has 6 speed automatics in the aftermarket, TCI? They use the GM trans with their own adapter bellhousing and stand alone controller. That's what I would do. Pretty much plug and play.Let some one else do the engineering to make it work.

·
Registered
207 Posts
As Huskinhano says, you can check these guys out: Transmission Packages - TCI® Auto.
Just click on the "6X Six-Speed" tab and then "Ford"

I have no experience with these guys as I am running a 6-speed manual at the moment but have been playing with the thought of going 6-speed auto

·
7,010 Posts
I appreciate the 2nd overdriven gear in my 2014 Explorer. It's a big heavy chunk, theecoboost engine has a relatively narrow power band and I'm putting several hundred gallons of gas through it a year.

I just would see less of an advantage to a second overdriven gear in a "fun" car. I really appreciate having overdrive in my '65 (4R70W)...and the electronic control is nice, but I don't think the second overdriven gear would be a huge improvement for me.

I guess the 3.8 V6, which shares the sbf bell housing configuration was last used in 2004...so looks like it will get ever harder to find a good swap candidate with low miles.

Phil

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Just because you have 6 speeds doesn't mean that the final overdrive ratio will necessarily be any lower than a 4 speed...the advantage is closer ratio gears, which will get better acceleration...definitely cool, but not at that price

1 - 11 of 11 Posts