Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 1966 mustang 6 cylinder auto (3 speed green dot) transmission. The flywheel in the car is a 164 tooth 14 1/4" OD 1 3/4" ID.

The motor that is going in to it is a 1991 Ford 302 Thunderbird by the casting number that is on the block. Do you know what starter we should use?

Thanks for any help

Mike

·
Registered
1967 Mustang Hardtop
1,715 Posts
6 cylinder and V8 C4s are different.

·
Registered
113 Posts
The starter must match the flywheel, and the flywheel must match the transmission.
I'm not clear on : Are you going to try to use that I6 C-4 transmission with the newer 302 ?
It may be possible to make bellhousing/converter swaps to re-use your transmission, but that's not the best way ( I6 transmissions have lighter duty internal parts....).
DannyG

·
Registered
5,737 Posts
Its not ideal but you can use the I6 C4 behind a small block V8 but minimally you will need the V8 bellhousing, flexplate, torque converter, and starter. Ideally you want to get a true V8 C4.

Paul

·
Registered
5,737 Posts
The motor that is going in to it is a 1991 Ford 302 Thunderbird by the casting number that is on the block.
Mike,
You cannot tell what vehicle a Ford engine come from by the block casting number alone. I assume you block is an F1SE-BB correct? Can you see the stamped-in partial VIN at the top rear of the block?

Paul

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Paul, yes it is F1SE-BB I took that casting to Ford parts and thats what they told me? That is the only numbers I see on the block. The crank is numbered E7AE-AA and the rods are D10E-AA

·
Registered
35,234 Posts
Hi Paul, yes it is F1SE-BB I took that casting to Ford parts and thats what they told me? That is the only numbers I see on the block. The crank is numbered E7AE-AA and the rods are D10E-AA
They told you wrongly. The engineering code cast into the cylinder block means only that the Thunderbird Group paid for the engineering on that particular version of the block. It might have originally been in a Thunderbird, Mustang, F150, ski boat, or even a wood chipper. Your block is F1SE (Thunderbird Group) crank is E7AE (Ford Group) and rods D1OE (Fairlane/Torino Group). Doesn't indicate car of origin. The tag on the intake, or later decal on valve cover indicated original application. If that's gone, you'll never know.

Of course, it doesn't matter where it came from. You have it now.

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
20,360 Posts
I'm no expert on 1966 cars, but my 1967 had the teeth on the converter and there was no actual toothed flywheel. So a 1966 car could not only have a flexplate but a "big bell" C4 flexplate at that? Or have I missed something?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just went on CJ Pony Parts and this is what I read. So the flex plate that was in the car is 164 and after reading this, it wouldn't be the first or the second. My balancer part # is E4TE-A3A this is for the 50oz flywheel right?

157 Tooth Automatic Transmission Flexplate with 28.2 Ounce Balance for 1965-1973 289 and 302 Mustangs with a C4 Automatic Transmission.

This standard replacement, 157 tooth flexplate is made to OE specs and features a 28.2 oz. balance and 10.5" Bolt Pattern. Fits C4 automatic transmissions with the smaller bellhousing.

C4 Transmissions came with 2 different size bell housings. The larger bellhousing requires the 164 tooth flexplate and the smaller bellhousing requires the 157 tooth flexplate.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts