Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I have a 65 fastback w/ a 289 A-code (4 barrel) w/ a C4 tranny. I have a high-lift Isky Cam (model 264) and roller-rocker arms. It's running nicely but I think it's over-carbed (is that a word?). It has a Holley 750 cfm double-pump on there and I have a mechanic that I trust who says he'll put on a rebuilt Holley 600 cfm carb for "free" in exchange for the 750... is this worth it? He says he'll tune the car to work w/ the new carb and everything and being a person who knows very little about carbs, it sounds pretty good to me... in fact, I don't even know what "double-pump" means!

I"m just trying to squeeze a little better gas mileage out of this car and since I don't plan on going over 150mph, I'm not sure I'll need the flow from a 750... whaddya think???

thanks for your time,

Jay
1965 Pre-GT Fastback, A-code, C4 trans.

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
Has this guy done work for you before....??

Do you trust him...?

A 750 DP is worth about 2 600 vac sec carbs...

Is it worth that much to you to have the car tuned by him?

The 600 is a better choice for you by far...even a stock 4100 Ford carb would work great with your combo...I'd use that if one was available...

Pat
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1570936&a=11937754&p=42910787.jpg

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do trust him, he put on my rocker arms and did an excellent job (as far as I can tell--the car is running beautifully). I am very new to the game of mustang resto and don't know exactly what I'd need to do to "tune the car". Is that something a beginner can figure out (with proper manuals and VMF---wait, that's one in the same!)

Jay
1965 Pre-GT Fastback, A-code, C4 trans.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
I agree with camachinist. a 750 dp is worth a lot more than a 600 vacuum secondaries. Unless you are into serious performance, the 600 vacuum secordaries is what you want, but not an even trade.

Rob
Member: Slightly Modified
66 coupe 302
66 fastback 351W

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
Changing carb isn't that hard, you might do that. But how much would you get if you try to sell 750DP to third party and how much you like that kind of hassle. But if you don't want to, then you got to pay the price. Changing carb is charged at least one hour, more if it involves rerouting fuel lines, new linkage or whatever extra. Then tuning the replaced carb takes more. So it doesn't sound that expensive when you count in that if you have longer term relationship (nono,not that kind) you have an implicit guarantee on the job. Rather pay once good money to good mechanic than pay often to bad ones. And then even if you lose on trade you might consider that as an investment in relationship, there are not that many good and reliable mechanics around.

Door handle first

1 - 5 of 5 Posts