Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I spoke with a person at TMC regarding 600 lb/in front coil springs and they told me that the spring has a 11.5" free height. I measured 13.75" between the spring perch and the spring seat in the shock tower at full droop. The TMC representative stated that with the sway bar and strut rods attached that that dimension will be reduced considerably. So all those who have installed these springs:
Did you note down the free height?
Did they fit snug at full droop?
Are they really street friendly, or are they too harsh?
Anybody try the Global West 540 lb/in. springs?
Did they lower your car, or were they "cut to fit"?
Thanks for your time and help.

·
Registered
935 Posts
The TMC springs will almost fit between the upper pad and the spring saddle without compressing the spring. With the strut rod and sway bar disconnected, the A-arm will drop down real low. I have installed them without compressing the spring but sometimes you have to "screw" them into the space and around the spring saddle pad. Every car is a little difference, but you might fit them without compression.
The springs are definitely firm but not real harsh. If you drive around daily on "pot-holey" streets, then they will be too rough. For occasional use, or smoother driving, they are alright.
Compared to a regular V8 Mustang coil spring ride height, they tend to lower the front bumper of the car about 1". The car may sit a little high when you first install them, but will settle down to its permanent height after a week or so of driving.

G

·
0 Posts
I like them!! And I didn't have to compress the spring when I installed.

65 coupe 302
(rebuilding a 351W)

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
i think i'm in the same boat. i bought some after market springs. they are much shorter than the originals. and as you said, they pretty much fit without compressing.

the springs are in, but only one side( of the perch (the back part which i mean is the side closest to the engine compartment)) is touching the spring. i questioned whether or not this is ok.

i've sat there and looked and looked at it. and it looks like when the weight of the car is on the wheels, the perches will contact the spring on both sides of the perch and will be ok.

anyway...if im reading your post correct, could you verify what i said is true (or is off).

thanks

sloan

1 - 4 of 4 Posts