Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having these installed and the guy just called me to say that on the passenger side the 620LB spring just "rattles around" between the spring perch and upper insulator. He said there is about 1 1/2" clearance there and it will fall out on it own if left in. The other side is appears to fit OK. Any ideas? I have the Shleby 1" drop new uppers and spring perches. Lowers are about 5 yrs old. I also have new grab a track shocks all around but this is without the shock in there. The old springs were taller and thinner (no idea what they were though). Thanks I am leaving soon to go view what he is talking about. Any help would be appreciated before I leave.

·
Registered
7,944 Posts
It will touch when he takes it off the rack. Often the 620's can be installed amd removed without the aid of a spring compressor. I'm more curious about the side that does touch. Did the two springs have the same height before installation?

The taller and thinner springs were probably the stock ones.

John Harvey

·
Registered
952 Posts
Is there weight on the car or is it up on the jack stands. Would be hard for me to imagine the springs rattling around when the car is back on the ground. I installed the 620's and I will be cutting out a coil tonight. Of course I did not do the drop either. But regardless with it on the ground there should be enough to weight to make the front springs come in contact.

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
It rattles around with the weight of the car on the front end? If one side fits and the control arms aren't binding on the other side, it should fit too - assuming they didn't give you one wrong spring.

I'd check the saddles (perches) to make sure there isn't a blown-out bushing or something.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got the springs from another VMFer and they were used but the same height. I trust him so I know that is not the issue. he does still have it on the rack so maybe that is the issue. I hope so. Worse case scenerio is I put the old ones back in and go to plan B.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info. I am heading over there to see what is up. I will have him take it off the rack (not on stands so the weight is on all four wheels right now I asked him). I am curious too why one side would fit and not the other. Does not make sense at all. I need to make sure that the shocks are not in. I think I asked him. they take a while to come down once they are extended out. that could be the issue also.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
I may have misunderstood but if the car is jacked up by the frame and the shock is NOT connected, then it will lower way down to the point where the new spring will just go in without compressing it. Once the shock is attached and the weight is put back on the wheels, it will keep the spring in there.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts