Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a set of 620 lbs 1"drop coil springs. What kind of ride do these offer? I got them for a cheap price $40 brand new at a swap meet.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So these should be good on my daily driver with slight mods to the front suspension like rollerized perches and the 1" Shelby drop?

·
Registered
37 Posts
oh yeah. youll probably wind up cutting a coil or two. As your old springs have probably been on there for 30 some odd years and have settled dramatically. remember the rule of thumb 1/2 coil increments you cant get back what you cut off. ha

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
You'll like them. Put them on. I have them with the 1" drop. They will only be better with your roller perches...which I don't have.

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
I have those springs on my 66. Dbl roller perches, stock upper and lower arms with the 1" drop and I did not have to cut any off the coils. I think they are a little hard for the street (not bad though), but work great on the track (for me).

·
Registered
271 Posts
I too have the 620 springs, Opentracker roller perches, shelby drop, and otherwise stock suspension. The ride is firm but the car handles great. I didn't have to cut any coils and my car sits plenty low.

·
I won a special award
7,409 Posts
620 refers to the diameter of the steel in the coil, .620 of an inch. I too used to think it stood for 620 lbs.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
If the 620 refers to the wire thickness, then what spring rate are 600 springs?

·
Premium Member
10,952 Posts
there are springs with a crush per inch rate of 620 pounds per inch. spring rate refers to how many pounds it takes to compress a spring 1". when 1-1/2 coils were removed from the original boss 302 front springs it raised the rate the 620. C9OZ-5310-L is the ford part number for the springs.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
You will like the 620's.....I have the same setup on my car and it rides great (for a '69 Mustang)...heh heh
Tom

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
620 refers to the diameter of the steel in the coil, .620 of an inch. I too used to think it stood for 620 lbs.
Im glad you cleared that up, I thought it had to do with weight also.

·
Registered
970 Posts
I found 620s too stiff for bumpy roads. I went with Global West variable rates and they are great. I use GT rears. Decent setup.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Mustangs Plus sells "620" springs made from .620 wire rated at 560. Others sell 620 springs rated at 620. This was a pet peeve of mine back in the early 80's when they started marketing these by wire size. Everyone elsed used the spring rate. The MP springs will be marked with Grab-A-Track on them.
Ride quality will come from the shock you choose.

·
Premium Member
5,242 Posts
You didn't mention what year your car is, and that's going to make a huge difference in your ride quality, as the later year cars are heavier and aren't as affected by the higher spring rate as the early cars are. IMO, they're usually a bit stiff for regular driver '65 or '66s - but conversely are downright awesome on a '73.
I've also found that most of them available are already 1" shorter than stock, so measure them up before you cut anything!

·
Registered
170 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts