Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
are the shock towers the same width between 64 1/2 to 65.Thinking about putting a 351W in my 64 1/2 will it fit without modding the shock towers.Thanks.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hey Airride I was contemplating the same swap into my 66 fastback. However I dont think its worth the hassle. Header clearance between the shock towers is minimal, so changing spark plugs will be a bear. You can the get plenty of power with a 289/302 based motor. But thats just my thought.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm not sure about the difference in shock towers, but I know the windsor will fit, it will be pretty tight and getting the right motor mounts is "fun." As far as the plugs go, you'll get used to changing them, I have a 65 with a cleveland squeezed between the shock towers and it takes about 2 hours to do the plugs which is a breeze compared to the 4+ hours it takes to change the plugs in my 03 Lightning.

·
Registered
15 Posts
If you'r planning the 351, then consider doing one of the front suspension swaps that lets you remove the shock towers.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
themadgnome said:
... getting the right motor mounts is "fun."
If he has a V-8 now, the motor mounts should be the same. The 260, 289, 302, 351W, & 351C all have the same motor mount configuration.

·
White Elephant Guy
12,969 Posts
It will fit, but it will be tight. There are "conversion headers" that make the job easier but accessing spark plugs will still be a PITA.

·
Registered
10,559 Posts
64.5-66 towers are the same. Installing a 67/68 tower would get you some more room. There's a few 65/66 cars with that modification sporting FE engines, that I know of.......
Stand by to stand by though, it ain't cheap to do that mod.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts