Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone give me advice on whether to paint the separator and inspection plate on my 64.5 vet. I have been assembling bolt by bolt after some comprehensive rotisserie work on frame, floors, body, etc. I intend to use it as a weekend cruiser not a concours trailer queen (but it will be close). I am about to put the engine and transmission back in. I cleaned 55 years of road gunk, rust and paint off of the separator plate and inspection plate. The car looks like showroom and I don't want to cut a corner here. Does anyone have an suggestion on the potential to paint them, perhaps something by eastwood? I have used eastwood exhaust manifold, master cylinder, casting, and natural steel stamping paints.

Should I paint? will it last? or should I suck up the $50 or so buck for re-pops?

as always, thank you for the thoughtful and experienced responses.....

·
Registered
6,321 Posts
When you mention "bell housing separator plate", are you referring to the plate that is sandwiched between the back of the engine and the flex plate (bolted to the crank)? If so, I don't think they were ever painted and mine never showed any indications of rust.
I have a 64.5 (May built "D" code? The C4 inspection plate was not painted under my ownership, nor, when I purchased the car in the early 80s.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes that’s the plate. Not sure they were ever painted, but on mine, the zinc coating is gone in some areas and rusting. Just thinking if i paint it, and most of it is not seen, it might be a viable option......

·
Registered
6,321 Posts
Yes that’s the plate. Not sure they were ever painted, but on mine, the zinc coating is gone in some areas and rusting. Just thinking if i paint it, and most of it is not seen, it might be a viable option......
I guess you can paint it if you like. There, usually, is a variable oily mist in the area so, I don't think it would ever rust. I know mine never showed any indications of rusting. If I recall, my C4 inspection plate was painted black.

·
Registered
861 Posts
I painted mine....but I pretty much painted everything.....

On second thought, I just used epoxy primer on that plate and left it like that

·
Registered
33,884 Posts
If you elect to paint it, I'd go with POR-15 engine paint. Real engine enamel, can be brush applied with no brush marks, excellent color match, very good durability.

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
It might be specific to a time frame or engine/trans assembly procedures of a specific time.
My guess/vote is that it was painted engine color during assembly (based on recollections of the "chassis cam" from the auctions):)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts