Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi gang. I have a 64 1/2 with original (rebuilt) MC for four wheel drum setup. Today, in 108 degree temps in Phoenix, I drove around. The car didn't get too hot, thankfully, but when I got back to my garage, the brake lights stayed on. I pumped the peddle, but no change. I disconnected one of the wires at the switch in the MC and the lights went out. I reconnected and theyr'e back on. I took the MC cap off, thinking perhaps the heat has expanded the pressure in the MC, but the light stayed on. So...I've disconnected the switch again for now. What's wrong? Could the switch have just gone bad? The turn signals work, the other lights work. Could heat affect the switch?

advice on what to check would be great!

best,

Drew

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
check your brake light switch setup - my shop manual does not cover it at all but shows it at pedal location - operation should be obvious.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, but on 64 1/2's the switch is at the Master Cylinder, not on the brake pedal, as on later cars. I can't figure out if the switch is now bad, or if this is heat related.

Still confused. All wiring is new.

Drew

·
Registered
106 Posts
Sounds like your brake pressure switch is stuck in the "on" position. With the wires pulled off the switch, take a voltmeter (set to ohms) and touch each probe to the terminals and see if there is continuity across the switch. If there is, the switch is bad.
Good Luck, JF

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Jim..is it Jim or James? Anyway, thanks for the help here. I just went to the garage to check it...and now that it's cooled down, it's operating perfectly. I am guessing that the switch indeed is shorting out as it gets hot. I'll see what happens next time I drive it, test as you recommend if it does this again. If it's only the switch...then I'm in luck since they're readily available.

By the way, GREAT car. Is your a Poppy Red also? Sometime pictures on the net aren't color matched with the real world. I looked at your web page, great stable! I dig the Mystic stang!

Do you have a website for your "D" code 64 1/2? I'd like to see more pics and learn more about your car. I have a few Q's I'd like to ask you if you've got the time. I'm working towards Gold status, but unfortunately there aren't any MCA National shows here in Phoenix for awhile. The last few shows I've been in, they only judged participants choices and didn't have an MCA Gold Judge available.

What email address can I reach you at?

best,

Drew

1 - 5 of 5 Posts