Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello
Anyone know the actual weight of a 64 1/2 289 4speed convertible? Any problems pulling the car and 1500# aluminum car trailer with a 2001 Dodge Dakota with 4wd, V-8 and towing package(heavier springs, extra coolers etc). Has 7000# towing capacity. More concerned with body sway and control issues. Never seen anyone pull a trailer with a Dakota before.
Thanks
Dave

·
Registered
437 Posts
I pull everything under the sun on a HEAVY car trailer with my 4 cylinder toyota pickup without a single problem.

The car is probably less than 3000 lbs I would imagine (although I do not know the weight of a mustang). The only reason the trailer would sway is if you has the weight distributed on the trailer unevenly. In particular, if the car weight is too far back, at high speeds the trailer will start to sway back and forth. If this happens, simple move the car ahead a foot or so. Should have a fair amount of tongue weight

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
kketell;
Are you sure that weight is right for a convertible? I was guessing 3000-3100 lbs. My old V-8 Vega weighed that much.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
The original weight was 2368 and the orig price was $2368. The conv weighs abot 400 pounds more. This should get you in the ballpark. A 70 Mach is 400 pounds more than a conv.

·
Premium Member
11,702 Posts
Ok, I did a little more digging and came up with the following:

According to [color:green]The Mustang Red Book</font color=green>, the 64.5-66 Mustang weighs in at 2860 lbs with a 289. No differentiation for body styles was made.

Collector's Guide MUSTANGS 1965-1973 has a chart, which I scanned in for your edification. (The image is over 300k for you modem folk)

I also added the chart to my technical documents page.

·
Moderatly Old Fart
4,428 Posts
I pulled my 66 convertable home from Columbus, Ohio to Chicago on a tow dolly with a little bitty 4 cylinder Toyota pickup. The convert had no engine or trans so it weighed maybe 600 pounds less. I made it home OK. The pick up is rated to tow 3500 pounds.

I WISHED I had a Dakota to pull it!

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So far we have 2860, 2778, and 2650. I guess it is a pretty safe bet I can say the car is around low 2900 with full tank gas etc? I was always told they were around 3000-3100# for a convertible.
Dave

1 - 10 of 10 Posts