Vintage Mustang Forums banner

64 1/2 firewall sound deadener/insulation/sealer goo

2118 7
Working on a 64 1/2 and getting ready to shoot the engine compartment. I know on the later Mustangs the firewall sound deadener was an asbestos body Schutts type of product, but the stuff on the firweall of this rust free California car is more of a runny, black asphalt type of stuff. Does anybody know what it is originally? I want to duplicate it correctly, not something like the Body Schuts. thanks.

Dave ::
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
I guess you are aware that the sound deadener on the firewall is applied after the engine bay is painted and everything is installed that goes through the firewall. Also, the firewall sound deadener was applied before engine and trans were decked.

On show cars, I have found a very good match to original to be a spray bomb rubberized undercoating. I get mine from the PPG paint store and it comes in a black can made by a company called Evercoat. If you cool the can down in the refrigerator, it will spatter like the original stuff and build up. I've found the firewall deadener to be different than the stuff found under the fenders(which dries hard)

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
I think Dave is referring to the sealant that is applied to the pinch weld at the front of the cowl (under the rear of the hood). It's the same stuff used in the trunk floor areas as a sealant. It looks like it is poured on or applied in a very semi-liquid form. Charles, would you use Evercoat for this? I know that Evercoat is really good for firewall penetrations, but I think it's too viscous for the application Dave is talking about.

G

·
I thought he was referring to firewall sealer, oh well.

No, I would not use spray sound deadener as a substitute for seam sealer. There are areas of the car that had spray seam sealer used, but all the visible seams were "dressed" a little better and used a different "flow-type" seam sealer as you described.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No, the stuff on this car isn't like the evercoat or body Schuts,, it's gooy and runny but is a tar like product. I started scraping it off but perhaps you can see what it looks like in the photo below:
http://www.dvsrestorations.com/jpeg/firewall.JPG

It is, of course, above the chassis black. It appears to have been applied over the fan area and allowed to run down. Note the run lines I've already scraped.

It's so runny there's a big blob of it on the frame rail where it dripped off the firewall.

Dave

G

·
Yep, it's definitely some messy stuff. So far the best product I have found available on the market is the Evercoat sound deadener. It's runny enough that you can build it up and it will sag some. I would recommend you buy a can and experiment. Body schutz is just plain wrong as I'm sure you know, the 3M stuff dries hard. At least the Evercoat deadener stays somewhat flexible and gooey like the original stuff.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.