Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you may recall I've having a problem finding the correct horn ring for my 64 1/2 steering wheel. Well I met a guy the other day that had some Mustang parts for sale and he said most of it was NOS. So I go and meet the guy and sure nuff he has some NOS stuff. Well of all the dumb luck in the bottom of the box was a nice used 64 1/2 horn ring. I didn't say a thing about it as I had already made up my mind I was buying this stuff. There is a different positioning of the parts on the inside of the horn ring. The 3 prongs that support the center ring are wider apart than those on a 65 wheel. So here again we have some more differences in the early cars.

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
So was the support at the bottom leg centered on the leg?

·
Registered
3,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes if I understand you correctly. The bottom leg that the retainer screw goes into is centered in line with the bottom spoke. I describe it as being in the 6 o'clock position where as on the 65 ring that leg would be like at the 6:30 position. Just enough to throw it off and not line up with the steering wheel.

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
Cool. That is what it looked like in the pics. Sorry if that didn't carry in my descriptions. The cooler part is that you have the solution and came across the uber rare part by accident!

·
Registered
3,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That doesn't make any sense. The plastic Mustang emblem is held in by a metal ring thats riveted in place. I wouldn't think that there is room for 2 emblems.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I don't think all 64 1/2s have the falcon emblem underneath but some of the real early 64 1/2 did.

GB

·
Registered
35,876 Posts
Even later ones did. The Mustang steering wheel is basically the Falcon Sprint wheel with a Mustang emblem added to the center, in some cases right over a cast-in Falcon Sprint emblem.

·
Registered
3,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I know that it is the Falcon Sprint wheel but I don't see Ford removeing the Falcon center to install the Mustang one and then backing up the Mustang one with the Falcon one. Why would they reinstall the Falcon one.

·
Registered
35,876 Posts
I know that it is the Falcon Sprint wheel but I don't see Ford removeing the Falcon center to install the Mustang one and then backing up the Mustang one with the Falcon one. Why would they reinstall the Falcon one.
You didn't understand. The Falcon emblem is cast right in- The ring in the photo is one single piece. The Falcon markings are part of it. The Mustang ring is the exact same ring, lettering, crossed flags and all, with the Mustang center emblem plastered on over it, hiding the Falcon emblem.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Wow, I totally didn't know that about the Falcon wheel. Very interesting...thanks for the follow-up tooponies.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts