Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey! I'm pretty new to the site, but needed some help. Recently I got inherited a beautiful 1964 Mustang that had been in our family since the '70s. My problem is I'm not very knowledgeable about cars, but I'm always open to learning. My question is, what's the best way to learn about classic mustangs, how they work and how to start the rebuild process. I was given the car in a pretty dire state. Most of the car has been taken apart, but I do have all the parts with me. I just want to figure out how to start rebuilding it so I can get her back on the road where she belongs. All help/tips are GREATLY appreciated! Thank you!

·
Premium Member
6,340 Posts
1) add your location to your profile as VMF members may be near you to help
2) PICTURES ! ! WE LOVE PICTURES ! ! And lots of pictures tell us what's going on and where to start.
3) RUST. That is the vintage Mustang's biggest enemy because Ford didn't invest in a lot of corrosion protection since the car wasn't really engineered to last 50+ years...
4) the Mustang is STILL one of the most versatile cars ever made and with enough money and/or time, you basically can do anything with it.
5) the VMF members will point you in the right direction and give you plenty of feedback. Enjoy ! !

·
Premium Member
13,356 Posts
You say the car is mostly taken apart. The first thing you should do is go over it with a fine tooth comb looking for rust. There are very few original Mustangs that don't have some kind of rust problems. There's no use in beginning reassembly of the car until all rust problems are fixed. The most common rust areas are the lower cowl, floorboards, frame rails, rear wheel arches, lower rear quarter panel aft of the tire and the lower front corner of both doors. These cars were built to sell at a predetermined price (less than $2500) and were expected to last 5 years or less so there was very little rust protection applied at the factory.
It's great that you want to preserve a family heirloom but on some cars the rust is so bad it makes no economic sense. Here's a perfect example.
https://forums.vintage-mustang.com/build-forum/621479-1965-mustang-rust-repair.html

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
youtube and google so many videos on whatever subject you want to know about, make lists and arrange in importance of budget/ability,and check off things as you go, don't buy a bunch of parts from NPD till your ready to install them, don't throw anything away, harbor freight tools will work, use the search function here on our forum,
and fill out your profile and avatar as suggested, you just fell into a great hobby, enjoy it, don't stress over it!

·
Premium Member
7,497 Posts
oh, if it hasn't been stated. "BUY A MANUAL(s)"! I bought both the 1964 and '65 manuals. Why? The Mustang is a "re-skinned" Falcon, it shares many of the mechanical components including some of the wiring, the dash, GEN etc. It's complicated as there are some components of the '65 too.
Apologies it's "caty-whompus".

Attachments

·
Registered
411 Posts
Welcome Bryant890, congratulations on now owning an American icon! There’s no place better, on the inter web, to get all kinds of info on these cars . Try the search function to zero in on specific things you want to know. Google search will sometimes bring ya back to the forum just as efficiently! Have fun- enjoy!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts