Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mine is #3682 out of dearborn. Just a 6cyl 3spd coupe. White with blue interior. The only options are wire wheel covers and am radio. It's not very valuable but is it desirable enough as an original that I should do stuff like store the 3 speed instead of get rid of it. The 7-1/4 inch rear end is about to leave the car too.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Yep! As tedious and space consuming as that is, in the upcoming years, that will be golden. Any performance changes you make to the car will be out of date within a few years anyway, and you will just have a Mustang with outdated and under performing and unoriginal modifications "by a previous owner".

SOMEONE in the future will want to have an original and typical car that hit 1964 with a bang.
I remember it well when the Mustang came out. It was earthshaking, kinda like the Beatles.

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
I would take it back to the way it left Dearborn and find a 65/66 to modify.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think I will keep the parts around. I'm only changing the rear and transmission because the wife wants an automatic and the stock rear whines. The 8in has the gear ratio I want and you can get parts for it.

·
Registered
60 Posts
The only time you should care about a car's value is 1) if you ever intend to sell it, or 2) for insurance purposes.
With that said, I'd keep the original parts around just in case one day I wanted to go back to stock for some nostalgic purpose. I've got a later 64.5 that I'm modifying and I never intend to sell, but I'll be keeping the boat anchor 260 & C4 around, just in case I get tired of the loud and fast life. Throwing away significant original parts is certainly "kick myself later" material.

·
Premium Member
1,562 Posts
Sounds like a neat hardtop ! Are you going to leave the front end with 4 lug rims while your rear axle will be 5 lug ? Dean

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm probably going to go to 5 lug disc brakes at some point. I already went to v8 spindles because both of the originals were burnt and galled on the ends.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts