Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car is a 64 1/2 V8 260 manual trans.
My brake lights, and turn signals work fine but I don't have tail lights at night. I changed the brake switch in the master cylinder. My brake lights are LED. Could my problem be the turn signal switch? How do I test it to know where the problem is?
Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
6,042 Posts
taillights (running lights) have nothing to do with the brake switch- it only controls the lights when braking. Assuming the bulbs are good, and you have power to them when the headlight switch is on, I'd look towards the headlight switch itself first.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
When you got the LEDs did you get ones that have both high and low beams on them? The original 1157 bulbs have two filaments in them. One for the tail lights that come on with the headlights, and one for the brighter brake lights. If you look you can see the two elements, plus the two contacts on the bottom of the bulb. They make bulbs (and LEDs) that physically fit but only have one contact on the bottom, so they only have one brightness.

I mention it 'cause it's something easy to check. Just pull the bulb out and make sure it's got two contacts on the bottom. You could also try and put an old 1157 bulb in if you've got one and see if it comes on with the headlights just to check.

Good luck. Hopefully it's something easy like that.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
taillights (running lights) have nothing to do with the brake switch- it only controls the lights when braking. Assuming the bulbs are good, and you have power to them when the headlight switch is on, I'd look towards the headlight switch itself first.
I read that the power goes from the headlight switch thru the turn signal switch then to the lights. If this is correct, is there any wires that I can put my meter on to check? I know it may be the headlight switch but it could also be the turn signal switch as well.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When you got the LEDs did you get ones that have both high and low beams on them? The original 1157 bulbs have two filaments in them. One for the tail lights that come on with the headlights, and one for the brighter brake lights. If you look you can see the two elements, plus the two contacts on the bottom of the bulb. They make bulbs (and LEDs) that physically fit but only have one contact on the bottom, so they only have one brightness.

I mention it 'cause it's something easy to check. Just pull the bulb out and make sure it's got two contacts on the bottom. You could also try and put an old 1157 bulb in if you've got one and see if it comes on with the headlights just to check.

Good luck. Hopefully it's something easy like that.
Yes, I tried regular bulbs and still same outcome.

·
Registered
35,272 Posts
I read that the power goes from the headlight switch thru the turn signal switch then to the lights. If this is correct, is there any wires that I can put my meter on to check? I know it may be the headlight switch but it could also be the turn signal switch as well.
Power to the tail lights goes from the headlight switch to the taillights. Circuit protection is via the headlamp switch's internal 15A circuit breaker. The BRAKE lamps go up through the turn signal switch as they share the same wiring and filament as the turn signals. Does the license plate light work? Do the parking lamps work in the "park" position?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Does not have license plate light and yes, with light knob pulled halfway out, the parking lights work.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts