Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone purchased a tar top battery for a '64 1/2 lately? I'm looking to order one from Antique Auto Battery. However, I would like to see what one looks like. I spoke to AAB. Since these are built on an "as needed" basis, they can't take a picture for me. I was told they use the case for the G24FA/B and make a tar top for it. I was hoping someone could post a picture of their tar top, or at least indicate if it appears correct. I have seen a picture of one that looked really bad. I don't know who the manufacturer was, but the post were too short. Any input would be apprciated. Thanks!

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
You may also want to try posting this on ConcoursMustang Forums-Index.

·
Registered
9,994 Posts
I'm not aware that you could even get a tar-top battery for a 64 1/2 Mustang. Are you sure they came that way? Well anyway, if they would at least start making the 65-67 yellop top Group 22 battery (or is that group 24?) with the legal mumbo-jumbo cast into the top I'd be happy. They seem to be happy with what they sell now.
Why do you need the tar-top? If you are showing it in MCA concours classes, I figure they would want the red capped big battery (per the rules).

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
I'm not aware that you could even get a tar-top battery for a 64 1/2 Mustang. Are you sure they came that way? Why do you need the tar-top? If you are showing it in MCA concours classes, I figure they would want the red capped big battery (per the rules).
Agreed. I've never seen anything other than the red-capped Autolite battery in MCA judging classes.

Edit: I just looked in the 2011 MCA rulebook, and it does state that '64 1/2 cars may have a tar topped battery. I learn something new every day!

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
in the MCA concours classes we want what was ORIGINALLY on the car. sometimes we have to settle for 'what is available". i too want a correct group 22 battery. most 65-66's had this as OEM. the group 24 was an option. the repro one does not even have the correct style case.

·
Registered
205 Posts
in the MCA concours classes we want what was ORIGINALLY on the car. sometimes we have to settle for 'what is available". i too want a correct group 22 battery. most 65-66's had this as OEM. the group 24 was an option. the repro one does not even have the correct style case.
+1.

This is a case of the repop became the standard, which is WRONG for 64-66 cars. As for the tar top this is what they looked like( See below) As you can see there is quite a bit of diffrence between a "real" autolite 22 tar top and the autolite 24 repops. Caps are diffrent, case is diffrent..ect.

Someone correct me if I am wrong but I believe the repops avaible now are 67 and up.

·
Registered
9,994 Posts
I'm a MCA 67-68 Certified judge. Funny what is acceptable.

·
Registered
35,858 Posts
I'm not aware that you could even get a tar-top battery for a 64 1/2 Mustang. Are you sure they came that way? Well anyway, if they would at least start making the 65-67 yellop top Group 22 battery (or is that group 24?) with the legal mumbo-jumbo cast into the top I'd be happy. They seem to be happy with what they sell now.
Why do you need the tar-top? If you are showing it in MCA concours classes, I figure they would want the red capped big battery (per the rules).
Most of these cars would have come with the 22F with green caps. No one reproduces this battery.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the excellent information! To sum it up, a correct battery is not manufactured at this time. Maybe by the next time I need to replace my battery?

·
Registered
9,994 Posts
No, the better repop comes out a week or two after you bought the incorrect one and have it on your car.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts