Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
64.5 Vert
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 64 1/2 convertible 289 4bbl auto and I need a water pump. I have poured through the forums and understand that I need the aluminum housing without the backing plate. But I see that my generator requires a different one than an alternator car. What is the difference and how do I know by the manufacturers description which one fits?

·
Premium Member
10,959 Posts
As far as I know all of the '64.5 generator cars used the water pump with no backing plate. And the '65 alternator cars used the pump with the backing plate.

·
Registered
64.5 Vert
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can't find any reference to the difference except this Cardone pump.
Cardone Select:
55-23142
"Please Note: This water pump is NOT to be used with a generator."
That told me I needed to look for one that could be used with a generator, but no one else references it at all. I'll bet you're right Woodchuck.
I was thinking that the only difference could be in the adjustment arm of the generator bracket that mounts to the pump or the pully spacing, but then the crank pully would have to be different too and I can't find a generator specific crank pully either.
I was doing all of this searching over the weekend, today I can call CJPP and have them tell me the difference and which one to use.
Thanks

·
Registered
383 Posts
Check to see if your pump is the original one (which I doubt) with the original casting number, you want to keep it if it is.. Take to an autoparts store and have them send it out to be rebuilt.

·
Registered
64.5 Vert
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, I was planning on keeping it but the radiator hose inlet is corroded pretty bad.

·
Registered
6,899 Posts

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts