Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a call from a local guy with a very early '64.5 who wants to put it back to concours condition. According to him, it's an original LA car in complete unrestored condition with a scheduled build date of 4/8/64. When I asked about the arm rest bases, he said they were original with the FoMoCo logo and part number, and they had the same inner bevel as the later '65 bases.

That makes me question the early style non-beveled arm rest bases I've put into my 4/20/64 Pace Car coupe. If his are correct, why would mine have the earlier style? When did the change occur?

·
Registered
669 Posts
both of our pace cars which were built on April 13 & 14 have the beveled style arm rest bases. that must be one of the 1st things that were changed on the early cars.

·
Registered
1965 Honey Gold A-Code Coupe
413 Posts
Sorry to bother, but what is this difference? Can anyone point me in the direction of an early non-beveled armrest?

I've been told I've got a "transitional" 65 and have been pointed to a good number of "64" items mine has. I'm curious to know if I've got the 64 armrests, as well.

G

·
0 Posts
Where you put your hand to pull the door arm rest, the plastic chrome piece is cut at a 90 degree angle at the opening whereas the later style is cut at 45 degrees.

If yours were ever replaced, you would have the later style as there has never been a reproduction for the early style.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Ah... okay thanks! Well, I know the driver's side has been replaced but I'll take a look at the passenger's side.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Early style:

http://www.svs.com/zim/mustang/images/dif-i29a.jpg

Later style:

http://www.svs.com/zim/mustang/images/dif-i29b.jpg

·
Registered
413 Posts
Thanks for the pics! I checked last night and have the later style. Boy, my stang is confusing... such a huge mix of both years. Kinda cool, actually. :D

·
Registered
175 Posts
Just a note to confirm my May 27th car has the early style too. I believe the opening is narrower on the early bases also.

·
Premium Member
4,935 Posts
I picked up a pair of the early (square) ones
off a 64.5 in a salvage yard I go to. The data
plate was gone and the serial number on the
apron was rusted beyond reading but I did notice
it had the adjustable passenger seat which should
put it about May build.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts