Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
64.5 Mustang - $3,500 to switch drum brakes to disc - Whatcha think?
Mechanic said drum brakes don't stop (well) in wet weather. Is it worth so much money to have it done?
TIA for your advice!

:: ;)

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
For $950 you can get a brand new kit from SSBC with everything you need to convert the car to front disc brakes and takes someone with basic shade tree skills an afternoon to install.

Does this $3500 include rear drum brakes? new brakes? new master cylinder? I think it sounds high

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Holy $hit. All 4 wheels? Just front? I would personally buy the parts and do the swap myself and save a ton of $. If anything you just need them on the front unless you are eager to spend the extra $ for the rear.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Where are you located? That's too much money for disc brakes. I did my fronts (myself) for $350 total and that's for power discs with a new booster and calipers. A granada setup is about $150-250 in good shape. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
sounds to me like you'd be getting BENT OVER and good!!! :: the granada swap can be done for $150-400 depending on your location/how good the used stuff is, etc..and the aftermarket kits are around $750-1000 so I'd say that was WAYYYYY overpriced. FIRST find yourself another mechanic, second decide on WHAT kind of weather you will be driving it in on a regular basis. then you will know if you need disc. third maybe there is a fellow VMFer living near you that would be willing to help you install the setup(whatever you get) so that you could get the satisfaction of saying "I did it myself", save money($2500 in labor ???) :: and learn something new at the same time. ::$3500 is a FERRARI price!!! ;)

·
Registered
5,066 Posts
thats too expensive, hes trying to take advantage of you. If you let us know where you are, Im sure someone close by will help you do the job for much, much less. It should be about 1/2 that, even with all-new components. You only need discs for the front.

Front discs are desirable but its not a serious safety hazard. Plenty of ppl have kept their front drums for decades without any trouble (street driving). If your drums are in good shape you can take some time to think about it while you drive ::

G

·
0 Posts
too much.. i just did a conversion on a '66 for a guy. $700 for rebuilt granada spindles, new roters, rebuilt calipers and hoses. came with a new proportioning valve and master cylinder. the owner bought a new power booster to fit a '66 and accomodate a dual reservoir MC. that was about $350. I did the installation for $400 (supplied a rebuilt distribution block with that). So, for under $1500 he got a brand new power disc brake setup installed on his car.

·
Registered
230 Posts
that is way too much. I'm having the same problem. I just put on new drums( that was 400, with labor) and now I feel stupid. I want disc brakes. but they said that they would do it for 1500. Hmmm... all in all that is waaayy too much.

·
Premium Member
3,637 Posts
Wet weather is NOT the reason to change brake systems, is something WRONG with your current system? Both Disc AND Drums will stop the car! The difference is in how efficiently and quickly they do it. IMO A good, well tuned, set of drum brakes will work fine on these cars, the only time wet weather comes into play, is if you're submerging them.

As to your quoted cost? I'm with everyone else........ Find ANOTHER mechanic.

·
Registered
288 Posts
WAY, way too expensive. A stainless steel brake corporation disk brake conversion setup is less that $1000.00, and vertually looks identicle to the original setup. Well at least other than the proportioning valve, which is actually a much better version than the original anyway. $2500 for labor is rediculous. :eek:

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
THANK YOU! I will look elsewhere to have the brakes done! Whew! NT

1 - 15 of 15 Posts