Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted on the "old" forum regarding a 64.5 I have an opportunity to purchase for 500.00. The front frame rail on the p/s is rotted from the sway bar bracket to about 1" past the shock tower and the d/s has about a 2" rust spot.

I got an estimate from a restorer and he said it would be about 2,000-2,500 to fix. Does this sound right?

I would like to try and keep it rather than part it 'cause aside from that it's COMPLETE and would make a good un-restored driver.
I just wanted to know if the estimate sounds right(assuming I take it apart as much as possible). It's just the inside of the rails that are bad, the top/bottom/outside is solid. THANKS,Bob

·
Registered
762 Posts
THat sounds right, but I can tell you that you'll find a lot more rust, and it will likely run thousands of dollars. I would say that you could find a descent restorable (not rotted away) for 3-4 grand. THat may sound like a wash, but I would be really worried about a car with frame rot. Likely everything else is rotted as well.

JJ
69 Fastback 302 2v 3sp. trans.

·
Registered
487 Posts
If it can indeed be preserved with an infusion of 2 to 2 1/2k, then you would be well served by saving it. Especially if it is indeed a verifiable 64.5. If you ended up with even a bit more than that in the car, I think you would be in a fine position. Someone help me find a nice quality 64.5 anything for 3 to 4K! I'll jump right into that kind of deal. The cars that I see in that price range are generally complete pieces of junk, needing not only a large amount of body work, but complete interiors and mechanical rebuilds as well.

Hmmmm, Guess I am a little "strange" so the stranger thing might well fit...

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I checked it out pretty good. 500.00 is within my pricerange.
I guess when the weather clears, I'll pick it up and see exactly
how bad for myself and then decide what to do.
BTW-do you guys think its something a DIY'er could do??
I'm pretty good w/floors and rear rails. Thanks,Bob

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by demmerich1 on 03/06/01 06:24 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Anytime you have to work on the frame, expect to pay more. The work isn't really any harder, but body shops seem to think it is.

Someone please buy my Ski Doo!
68 fastback, 390 4V premium fuel

1 - 5 of 5 Posts