Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have an original 64.5 hood (front lip in concave area is not folded under) and am trying to decide whether to keep it or sell it. I just had it soda blasted and the top surface is excellent, but there is some surface rust on the underside and inside the ribs. My body shop is suggesting I sell it and get a repro hood rather than risk dealing with the rust.

Roughly, what is a hood like this worth?

Thanks

Dan

·
Registered
166 Posts
I can't wait to hear the answer. I finished my restoration last spring, and attended the Grand National Mustang show in Bellevue WA. A guy walks over to my car and shows me that the hood on my 65 is a 64.5. He had a fully restored 64.5 convertible. Of course my car is 100% restored. I'm not swapping hoods unless the 64.5 is worth a fortune.

·
Registered
205 Posts
The hood is worth what someone will pay for it. Considering they ran into early 65 production and they are now avaible in Ford Tooling, depends on condition and how much someone is willing to pay.

Also Indycanard, my Sept 64 Dearborn fastback has a "64.5" hood. That is a myth that they stopped useing them in 64. This car has a ton of "64" parts on it. They are just early parts they used up before they did a design change. Mine also has the slanted headlight bezels. All are orginal. I have photos of a Nov 64 Dearborn coupe that has the "64" hood and bezels. Depending on when and where your car was made, you could have the correct hood on it.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Roughly, what is a hood like this worth?
A guy had a really nice one at Ford Carlisle either '05 or '06 before the economy tanked and he wanted $500 on Friday. Original paint and no rust or very minimal. Early Sunday I offered him $350 and he refused. Not sure if he ever got his money out of it or not. Looking back I should have gone to $400 because that hood was exceptional and I also was making a lot more money back then versus today.

I saw another at Canfield for $275 with some rust that did not sell. It was one of those borderline hoods regarding rust whether it worth fixing or not. Lot of rust underneath but no rusthrough.

Last year a local guy was parting out a 64 1/2 and selling stuff dirt cheap. The hood with a little rust sold for $40 and the doors for $35 each. I saw the number in a local freebee newspaper and procrastinated a day too long and did not get the parts.

I would say for a decent one $250-350.

·
Registered
738 Posts
You can get a new one for about $450.

Yeah but the ribbing underneath is different and the originals have those raised date codes and all those little tooling differences the new ones do not have.

I would pay $400 for a mint, non rusty original that just needed stripped of paint versus buying an new one.

I have seen nice original on Ebay sell for $100-150 but they are usually halfway around the country and the seller won't ship.

OP hold out and you will eventually find one close to you for a reasonable price. Put a want ad on Craigslist.

·
Registered
35,892 Posts
Interesting. In what way is the ribbing different? I have access to an April 64 car, known to have the original hood.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts