Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to replace a 30 year old Sears voltage regulator on my 64.5 Mustang that still has the original generator. I cannot seem to find source that advertises anything other than 65 regulators. Will a 65 regulator work on my car? If not, does anyone know where I can purchase a reproduction regulator? The car is a 260 V8 convertible with a power top and without air conditioning.

Thanks for any suggestions.

·
Registered
4,411 Posts
I am looking to replace a 30 year old Sears voltage regulator on my 64.5 Mustang that still has the original generator. I cannot seem to find source that advertises anything other than 65 regulators. Will a 65 regulator work on my car? If not, does anyone know where I can purchase a reproduction regulator? The car is a 260 V8 convertible with a power top and without air conditioning.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Regulators for generators and alternators are not interchangeable. I did find one here,

VOLTAGE REGULAT : American Mustang Parts, World Greatest Ford Mustang Parts Store

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The American Mustang Parts website has inaccurate information. I ordered what was advertised as "64 1/2 Concourse Voltage Regulator - Generator - FOMOCO Logo" and pictured as a black regulator with the FOMOCO logo. However, I received a 64 Voltage Regulator Generator - Aftermarket, which was blue without any logo.

When I called, Andy informed me that what I got is what their supplier was currently shipping. They are supposedly refunding my money when they receive the item back.

Buyer beware.

·
Registered
35,272 Posts
Technically, there is no such thing as a "64-1/2" Ford Mustang. As long as you get a voltage regulator for a generator-equipped '65 you'll be fine.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think I saw the same regulator on the Scott-Drake website. Maybe I could have them verify if it is one of their products and if it actually fits my "early 65" car.

·
Registered
6,042 Posts
I ordered mine from Barron Motor Supply locally. Not sure what brand it was, but it was exact, and better yet-worked!

·
Registered
35,272 Posts
Genuine Motorcraft GR-268 (30A generator) @ rockauto.com for $74.79

NOS Motorcraft GR-27 (40A generator) @ eBay for $42.49

Standard VR35 (25 & 30A generator) @ rockauto.com for $44.79

Standard VR17 (40A generator) @ rockauto.com for $52.79

1 - 9 of 9 Posts