Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an underdash unit that may go on my 64 Ranchero. I don't see any problems putting it in but I am wondering if it will work well with the new R134 and what needs to be done to make the conversion. Will those old York compressors do the job?

'67 A-Code Coupe
'68 C-Code Coupe (SWMBO's)
'86 SVO 1D
'86 SVO 2A
[email][email protected] [/Email]

G

·
0 Posts
R-134 is a higher pressure system, puts more wear and tear on components. you need to change some fittings and I think it takes a different lubricant too. Call Classic auto Air in Tampa
FL - I'm sure they'll give you the full scoop. I'd check locally
about the price and availability of good ol' freon first, seems like it's still in good supply and the price has been pretty stable
over the last couple of years, but that's here in Florida.
http://members.aol.com/ponycarp51/keeper5.jpg
-Steve in St Pete
'65 A code 2+2 w/ orig air

G

·
0 Posts
Forget the York compressor, and you will need a larger condenser. To really make it work effectively

Greg B

·
Registered
529 Posts
It'll work with R-134a if converted properly. The York compressor will also work provided it is in good mechanical condition.
You will have to drain all the old 500SUS oil out of the system. If your hoses are good, recommend flushing them with a non-residue cleaner followed by compressed air. Same goes for the evaporator core after removing the expansion valve first. Compressor needs to be drained also. If you still have the original condenser, recommend replacing it with a unit with greater heat transfer capability. Replace your receiver/dryer too. R-134a works at higher discharge temp and pressure and the system won't work with a inefficient condenser.
Conversion is not difficult. It just needs to be done properly. Hope this helped.

Vintage Burgundy 1966 Mustang GT Fastback (Midlife's younger brother)
MCA member #46447
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1582316&a=12039610&p=44141294.jpg

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your insights, guys. I don't think this unit was ever used but when I came across it there was no box. The hoses are new which is why I think it was never used, sort of like they bought it all new but never installed it. I checked the A/C website mentioned and they have daily quotes on the various coolants with the "spot rate" on 30 lbs. of R12 hovering around $839.00. That's about $28.00 a pound to a distributor. I've heard the street price can be two to three times as much. :>(

'67 A-Code Coupe
'68 C-Code Coupe (SWMBO's)
'86 SVO 1D
'86 SVO 2A
[email][email protected] [/Email]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts