Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

The engine bay passenger side inner fender apron on a 65-66 Mustang - can someone post a pic of a genuine, unmolested one that is still Ford sheet metal?

When looking at 64-66’s online, many of the inner fender aprons (the forward sheet metal where starter solenoid is attached) the top area where it meets the front fender appears “wrinkled” or “rippled”.

Is this a normal characteristic of that piece of sheet metal IF the car was not in any prior accidents or events that would affect the top portion integrity of the metal?

·
Registered
35,959 Posts
The "rippled" panels are typically reproductions that were stamped using press dies that don't have anywhere near the pressure as the original presses.

·
Registered
4,986 Posts
If know one gets you a pic I will post one up on my 65 this afternoon. It is unmolested never been hit and the fenders are still off.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Just checked my '66 OE apron. Just above the solenoid, there is a short section (about 4") where the apron jogs outboard to accommodate the battery box. There are small ripples in the top surface of that section that emanate from the corners of that jog.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
The "small ripples" I described in my earlier post look identical to those in the photos posted by cmefly.

·
Registered
938 Posts
my untouched '65 san jose built car has those wrinkles. We chose to leave them alone when cleaning up and repainting the engine bay!

·
Registered
4,986 Posts
Yep, the wrinkles are factory. It is common for people to use filler so they are not visible.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here are some pics from my 65. Never been hit ,documented car.
thanks for the replies fellas!

The pics that cmefly has posted clearly show the ripples I’m asking about (thanks cmefly!).

So would a replica panel not have the ripples or will a replica have exaggerated ripples in that topside area?

·
Registered
9,022 Posts
"The "rippled" panels are typically reproductions that were stamped using press dies that don't have anywhere near the pressure as the original presses. "

Woodchuck is right.....and I have Returned!...after a 6 month hiatus from here....Miss me??!!!??...LOL... :eek:) Tony K.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts