Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So what’s the consensus on genuine 64-66 as built vinyl topped Mustangs?

Yay or nay?

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Depends on the overall look you're going for. Personally, I like the overall cleaner look of not, but to each their own.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
It gives the coupe a more formal look. Add on the wire spoke hub caps and it is a classic look. If that is your vision for your car, go for it!
Yeah a vinyl top can trap moisture and cause rust, but you aren't going to park your Mustang outside 24-7 for years on end like it was just another used car are you?

·
Premium Member
1968 coupe, 1968 vert, 1966 coupe
762 Posts
I like both my current will be candy apple with no vinyl top but my other car will be baby blue with white vinyl

·
Registered
390 Posts
I was raised with a vinyl top and like it. Sure over 50 years they may trap moisture and cause rust. Same thing happened to my floor pans which has carpet. I replaced them and moved on. If you like it, keep it, it’s your car.

·
Premium Member
6,105 Posts
You could coat the top with something absolutely rust proof then put the vinyl on, I suppose. They look great on some cars. It's all about the color, too.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
I've had both, much prefer the vinyl. Rust is of zero concern to me, most of us dont drive or store these cars these days in rust producing environments anymore. Heck my car hasnt seen rain since 1983.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Since you asked, I’ll vote nay. Never been a fan.

·
Registered
794 Posts
I'm a solid Yay! My first 66 was non-vinyl top. My second 66 had the vinyl top removed by the previous owner when he changed the color from the original springtime yellow. When I restored it, I returned to the original color and added a black vinyl top. I looked great.

My third (current) 66 has a vinyl top. I'm not sure when it was put on, but judging from other information, I believe it was about 25 years ago. The top needs to be replaced in the next few years due to some cracks. It has some rust on the roof. I'll either repair or replace metal. Before I put on the next vinyl top, I think I'll paint it with POR15. As I understand it, it is fantastic rust protection, but isn't UV stable. Seems to me that this is good application for that product.

I like vinyl tops because they are "sixties". Very period. I like vinyl tops on 60s cars, but think they look hokey on later cars, especially as landau / "fake convertible" tops.
66three from rear.jpg

Reactions: Sbend65 and jclark

·
Registered
5,629 Posts
+Yay
VT's only cause rust when they are old and fai!. It was a part of the zeitgeist. A nice original top shows a car that was cared for, rust under one points to a third and fourth owner that bought a cheap car and treated it as such.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Put me down for a Yes. But it depends on the color combination.

I did get a peek at mine at the body shop after paint and before the new top was put on, and I liked it more than I though I would.

·
Registered
37,701 Posts
Absolutely! The only reason why they promote rust is because a) Ford didn't do any corrosion protection under the vinyl and b) 55 years of neglect led to moisture infiltration. Not any different than why we end up replacing cowl innards. During the "restoration" a proper application of epoxy primer or an equivalent followed by a quality top should outlast the owner. Adds a "finishing touch" to an otherwise average hardtop. Not for everybody, especially the restomodder who adds a Shelby hood scoop, stripes and Talbot mirrors, but for a nice cruiser with some chrome I think they look nice. Here's my "artists rendition" of a red Mustang with a white vinyl top.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts