Vintage Mustang Forums banner

41 - 60 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Adjustable seat... I struggled with how to make my race seat adjustable and realized that using the standard Kirkey brackets would require me to make rails raised high off the floorboard and bolt in from a pretty inaccessible place. The roll cage really limits the width. We made a reverse bracket and put some trailer Teflon underneath (the bolts are now recessed). This allowed the seat to be pinned to the rail and for the rail to be much shorter. The rail is 1" box steel welded up.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Though I have no issue in double shear as you have it and in fact wanted to pin my seat in one of my builds, some sanctioning bodies still want bolts. Not a critique as much as a heads up to check with your sanctioning body before arriving at event. I wanted to bolt front and pin back for rear access and was still discouraged, though I do NOT see an issue, like anything else if done correctly.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Fuel cell secured. Fuel pump and lines done. Still not quite enough room under the fenders. Need a more aggressive roll on the fenders and some internal "modifications". The mustang has about an 1.5" more width room there. 8.5 x 25.5 15 inch tires will fit, however, wheels have custom backspace (4.75) and the axle is shortened by an inch. I had to lower the rear leaf spring mount point one inch to gain more room for suspension travel.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Thanks for sharing. Nice build!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Engine bay. Fuel lines coming along. Carburetor installed. Very tight real estate at the left front. Will need an oil pressure extension tube to be able to fit the pressure sensor. Adjustable Fuel pressure regulator installed. Using a low pressure 15 psi electric pump in the fuel cell directly to the mechanical fuel pump. Will use a braided line from here to the carb.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Will use a braided line from here to the carb.
I love the build and the work you're doing. Do you have a steel fuel line running from the fuel cell to the inner fender and then the rubber line to your fuel pump? I would suggest either steel line or braided line everywhere and get rid of the rubber line. You can get an AN fitting for a steel line that uses a compression fitting and adapts the steel line to braided line. You may go through a ferrule or two before it seals, but they do work.

Again, great build.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Cleaned up the fuel lines. Oil pressure cut off switch installed

Lokar throttle cable linkage installed.

Brackets for MSD box and Painless relay box installed. Let the wiring begin...

Attachments

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #60 (Edited)
Miserable hot weather in South Carolina. Firewall holes drilled, engine wiring nearly done, Painless racing switches installed, carburetor springs, Ford truck 2 speed wiper motor with delay switch installed, kill switch, brake light and low fuel pressure light installed

41 - 60 of 105 Posts