Vintage Mustang Forums banner

'64 Falcon Race Car Build

40K views 128 replies 34 participants last post by  CP66 
#1 ·
Building a road race vintage SVRA rules Falcon based on the British Sports Car heritage, rather than SCCA or Monte Carlo Rallye.

Donor car was an eBay find 64 Hardtop. A San Jose car registered in CA it's whole life -- complete with pleated upholstery, a hole in the hood, and 4 coats of paint: White, White, Blue, Red. Under it all, no rust issues, some bondo on the rear fenders, and it turned out to be it's original numbers matching 260 (advertised as a 289) with low mileage. The engine had clearly never been apart, and I suspect the T10 was original as well, with a recently added Hurst shifter kit.

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
Crites Fiberglass panels. The fenders and doors are going to take some serious massaging. Fuel cell test-fitted. Sparco wheel with Grant quick-release. Longer Mustang column/steering shaft to move the weight back a little.

Attachments

#9 ·
Front suspension: 12 inch Cobra Automotive TA style rotors, Lincoln calipers, Porterfield R4 pads, CA brake adapters, '70 spindles, Opentracker perches, Scott Drake 620 springs, Koni shocks, Shelby drop, Mustang Steve strut rods. (sway bar not installed)

Attachments

#12 ·
Previous photos were over the past 5 months. This weekend installed Maier racing panhard bar -- didn't quite fit the slightly narrower Falcon frame rails, but massaging with hammers and jacks did the trick. The track bar is not installed in the photos.

Attachments

#20 ·
Rear suspension nearly complete

Lots of work last few days: Maier Panhard assembly welded, 9 inch 3.89 with Strange 3rd member and 31 spl. Moser axles assembled. New leaf springs and bushings, and Master Power drum brake kit with Porterfield R4S shoes. Everything painted and finally on the ground...

Attachments

#27 ·
I think the rear end setup will be great with the leafs and the panhard bar. I have seen some of the British Falcons in vintage, and the rear suspension/leaf spring setups are very similar you yours, but unlike anything else I have seen for sale in the US.

I will certainly give you feedback. The panhard bar is a tight fit back there between the fuel cell and the diff, but I think it will be the trick to having some adjustability at the track.

Most of my track experience is 6+ years of Lemons and Chump car, where we have actually fabricated suspension parts and put together our own leaf springs. The best part of that racing is literally hundreds of hours of seat time, and I think I have a good feel for handling at the track, albeit with low horsepower RWD cars. This will be my first experience with high horsepower and bias ply RWD in a sprint race format.

I know I am working on a completely different level with great quality suspension parts from C.A., Opentracker, and Maier and look forward to getting to the track in Feb or March. By next summer I hope to field a car in SVRA/VDCA/HSR here in the southeast.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.