Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I still have my first car and it is a early model 65 mustang. I'll try to add a picture but the few that I have aren't very good. I'll have to check the VIN again but I do know it is a D code 289. I drove this car every day until 2003 when I parked it and never cranked it since. It has a 4speed trans. I want to restore it soon and just wanted to get opinions on what to do with it. Like I said, I'll have to get better pictures. It had AC but I can't tell if its factory or not. Does anyone know what the AO means in the attached pic? Someone told me awhile ago but I can't recall. Anyways, just let me know what you guys think. It definitely needs work but I finally have the means!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,035 Posts
The factory A/C had an under dash evaporator inside the car so it looks like an aftermarket add-on unit but that was the factory unit in '65 and '66.

·
Registered
6,603 Posts
Need more Pics of the overall car, to better address your concerns.
BTW, I see this iyour first post. "WELCOME! You've found the best classic mustang site on the planet!
Please update your signature with your general location. Who knows, one of us may live down the street?

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
A-O Smith?? A/C Parts Vendor to Ford?!???

They are still around today making motors for A/C systems.

Just a guess..

If you are fixing rust, It's always better to use a Patch panel and fix what's there instead of replacing the entire panel. Nothing fits and looks like Original Ford Sheetmetal.

:eek:)

Tony K.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Neat car and good story! The AO stamp may be an inspection stamp like the OK stamps seen sometimes on firewalls, valve covers, etc. and could even be someone's initials. A.O. Smith was famous for water heaters, too, so that could be it. It's neat, glad it's photographed , and if you do a full resto, would be cool to accurately replicate.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Welcome to the '64.5 club. I parked mine, also 289 D-code, in 2003 after driving it daily since 1987. Finally got it back on the road about 5 years ago after a minor restoration. Enjoy the rebuild.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts