Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The pictures attached show the head light extension and door that were removed from my 1964 ½ Mustang convertible. The Ford number on the extension is C5ZB-13A045-B.
Can anyone tell me if both of these parts are correct for a 1964½ with a build date of June 04, 1964 in Dearborn or they incorrect replacements?
Thanks for any help.
Car Specs:
76A M 42 04F 55 1 5 5F08D156472

Attachments

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
SOmeone else more confident in their knowledge will chime in, but I was digging throuigh a pile of these the other day. The 64 had a bevel on it, and a 64 date code if I recall correctly

·
Registered
226 Posts
I don't have my headlight doors handy, but my headlight extension, with the bevel, has part # C4ZB-13100-C
SAE H 64 CR

I've got an end of June build date, unit # 179840

I can get you my headlight door #'s in a couple of days if it will help.

Greg

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Greg,

Thank you for the offer but it appears that I have original Ford 1965 extensions right and left and original 1964 1/2 right door.

I need to try to find 64 1/2 left and right extensions and 64 1/2 left door.

Thanks

Don

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are the headlight doors for 65 and 64 1/2 the same or does the 64 1/2 bevel to match the 64 1/2 extension?

·
Registered
3,277 Posts
+1 on the above. The bevel was for the 64 1/2 hood lip clearance. Headlight trim could fit anything form 64 1/2 to 66. Some fit great and some fit lousey. Imagine that !!!!!!!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for everyone's reply. Now I need to find used left and right headlight extensions. Anyone have an idea who to call?

·
Registered
3,277 Posts
Well I have a pair put away that have the tabs in place that usally brake that I've been holding onto for my car. I don't want to get rid of them but I might be convinced to. I really don't know what they're worth but probably could get a good idea from people on here. Just for the heck of it and some fun whether you want them or not let's have an auction and I'll just clarify here that they are not for sale and not going to the highest bidder. Waht are they worth...do I have an opening bid.

·
Registered
357 Posts
My 64 1/2 does not have the bevel and the car is dated June 6. It has the original 64 1/2 hood though that is dated May 28. it has the unfolded edges at the bucket extensions. The hood does have a sign of repair to it in one corner though. I say my car probably now has 65 extensions, I have not taken them off to check the numbers. If I find a pair of beveled ones I'll grab them.

GB

·
Registered
357 Posts
The pictures attached show the head light extension and door that were removed from my 1964 ½ Mustang convertible. The Ford number on the extension is C5ZB-13A045-B.
Can anyone tell me if both of these parts are correct for a 1964½ with a build date of June 04, 1964 in Dearborn or they incorrect replacements?
Thanks for any help.
Car Specs:
76A M 42 04F 55 1 5 5F08D156472
Hey alpha. This is interesting. Yours and my cars are only 2 days apart on the line. Mine is 5F07F159717 65A Y 82 06f 71 1 6. Wonder if the extensions could be some "pre-production" 65 ones? Strange things happened at Ford.

GB

·
Registered
64 1/2 D Code Coupe,
3,326 Posts
Hey alpha. This is interesting. Yours and my cars are only 2 days apart on the line. Mine is 5F07F159717 65A Y 82 06f 71 1 6. Wonder if the extensions could be some "pre-production" 65 ones? Strange things happened at Ford.

GB
Mine is 5F07D156823 same 06f date code and I don't have the bevel or hood tabs either. My DSO was Los Angeles and it doesn't have a road draft tube. It's has a PVC valve. Was that a California requirement? I have to change a headlight I'll look to see if there is a number. The headlight doors I took off of a 66 I'm parting out don't have and numbers that I can see.

How many many Mustangs did Ford make in one day?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Are the two of you indicating that the headlight extensions that I have might be original to the car. If so is there anyway that I can verify this.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Alpha & tom991, our cars are built so close together yet none of us have the beveled extensions.
There is evidence of a repair on one corner of my hood so the extension could have been replaced with a 65 unit. However the the other side still has the 65 type and I can't see how that would need to have been replaced as the damage was very localized. The numbers on both fenders and hood tell me they were the ones the car came with and my hood has the unfolded extension edges. Very interesting.

Tom991 mine does not have a draft tube I suspect it has the same set up as yours. It is a 71 LA DSO car too. It appears to be CA thing as most cars I have seen with this set up hail from CA....perhaps someone can verify.

theres a pic below of my engine.

Attachments

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I hope someone out there can clarify if it was possible to have original 65 headlight extesions on a vehicle built in June 1964. Since both of my headlight doors have C4ZB prefix's I cannot image that the both extensions would have been damaged and replace with 65 extensions without damaging the headlight doors. Maybe one of the concurse judges can shed some light on this.

·
Registered
9,022 Posts
I'm pretty sure that the '65 Headlight extentions will not work with a correct 64 1/2 hood, Hence, the beveled edges on the 64 1/2 Headlight extentions to allow for hood clearance. If you have '65 Headlight extentions, I'm pretty sure that you don't have a '64 1/2 hood, You'd have to have a '65-'66 hood. I would double check on that...definately.

·
Registered
357 Posts
There was more than 1 hood available for 641/2s there was the original type with folded edges and the intermediate type which was unfolded. I believe I have an intermediate type as the hood is marked with a late May 64 manufacture date. Mine has the unfolded edge which I believed was introduced to tidy up the appearance and "hide" the bevel which was an "after thought when these cars were first manufactured. I've posted a site with this info below and as it says on the site the " intermediate " 64 1/2 hood was used on some early 65s. A friend of mine has a later 65 and his hood again has that edge folded over

see this site for the hood variations

64½ vs. 65 Mustang Body & Wheel Differences

GB

·
Registered
307 Posts
The 64.5 hood will still work with the 65 bezels, just less clearance. Many later cars did have the 65 bezels, and as someone said the corrected hood. There have been documented cases even of one beveled bezel and one 65 bezel as that line or plant ran out of the beveled ones. So, really anything is possible. My 64.5 has the 65 bezels, but I am pretty sure they were changed as there was a light and low ront end collision about a time where the passenger apron got wrinkled up (on my list to fix).

·
Registered
357 Posts
The 64.5 hood will still work with the 65 bezels, just less clearance. Many later cars did have the 65 bezels, and as someone said the corrected hood. There have been documented cases even of one beveled bezel and one 65 bezel as that line or plant ran out of the beveled ones. So, really anything is possible. My 64.5 has the 65 bezels, but I am pretty sure they were changed as there was a light and low ront end collision about a time where the passenger apron got wrinkled up (on my list to fix).

Fordrevhead so are you saying that some of the later 641/2s had the 65 bezel from the factory?

GB

1 - 20 of 29 Posts