Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 351w in a 65. I have a home built SPAL fan shroud on the back of the radiator barely kisses the nub on the water pump hub. My pump has a drivers side exit hose. I would like to get a shorted waterpump hub length if possible. Do they make a shorter hub height pump? I found the short Ford Racing pump which is shorter but it does not have any provisions for my alternator mounting brackets. What setups are others running with the swap?

·
Premium Member
4,290 Posts
Can you maybe just set the engine back a hair farther?

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
I'd try cutting 1/8" off the nub. As long as it stays a bit taller than the pulley when assembled, it'll be fine. Might have to use button head bolts as well.
Or, check if this will work.
Along with a pulley to match, 1 or 2 groove.

·
Premium Member
10,932 Posts
use the 66-69 pulley, balancer , water pump setup. Have a radiator move the radiator inlet to the passenger side. If you have an aluminum radiator use a 2 piece lower hose. The 351W is the exact same length as the 289-302. the motor mount holes in the block are in the exact same place as the 289-302. The 351W front cover is the exact same distance from the the radiator as the 289-302, All 351W are 28oz counter balanced unless somebody had yours internal balanced so a stock 289 3 bolt balancer will work just fine.

·
Registered
755 Posts
use the 66-69 pulley, balancer , water pump setup. Have a radiator move the radiator inlet to the passenger side. If you have an aluminum radiator use a 2 piece lower hose. The 351W is the exact same length as the 289-302. the motor mount holes in the block are in the exact same place as the 289-302. The 351W front cover is the exact same distance from the the radiator as the 289-302, All 351W are 28oz counter balanced unless somebody had yours internal balanced so a stock 289 3 bolt balancer will work just fine.
This is 100% correct (its what I use on my prior 393w and now on the 434w) and I'd like to further add to it. The above combination also needs the 289/early 302 timing cover in order to get readable timing marks as it places the pointer on the driver's side where the 289 balancer's marks will be visible. The 289/early 302 timing cover will require removal of the 351 alignment dowels, which for some reason are larger than what is found on the 289. Not an issue if you use a balancer as an alignment tool prior to tightening all the timing cover bolts. You might have to fiddle a little with the alternator bracket on the head (use the one from a 69 351w) or source the complete pulley setup from March.

·
Registered
9,991 Posts
Where is it written that the fan MUST be directly in front of the water pump hub? Try offsetting it an inch or two.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I went with a Flow Kooler water pump and the CVF Racing brackets/pulleys and have at least an inch or so of space at least on my 351w in my 65 fastback. Champion 3 row aluminum radiator as well as their 16" electric fan. Never felt the need to use a shroud.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Although I have a 302, I needed 1/4" clearance, so I used a grinder and cut 1/4" off the water pump spindle plus moved the fan motor slightly off-center by about 3/8".
Problem solved.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts