Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. About one weekend per month I go and look at Mustangs for sale in my area. I came across a '66 convertible. It is a daily driver and missing some items.
I noticed that the engine compartment convertible braces were gone. These are the 2 braces that one end bolts to the engine compartment sidewall, and the other end bolts to one of the bolts on the cowl panel. This pair of braces are above the normal shock tower braces and I am not talking about the aftermarket export brace. This pair of 5/8? inch dia bracing is only found on the convertibles. Was this pair of bracing scrounged from this car beacuse they are expensive? How much do they go for used? Tallyho.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
I have a '65 vert that should have had those braces. I purchased an original (heavy) Ford export brace and a good curved Monte Carlo bar for the car. You will not believe how rattle free and stiff this rig is. Great combination. I think it is much better than the original setup. Would like to hear other opinions.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
65 was different from 66. 65 went from the firewall to just behind the rad support. 66's went from the shock tower to behind the rad support. You will have a hard time using the 65's w/ the export brace, but the 66's can be used, as they don't get in the way. On most 65's. you'll see that the front brackets are in different positions. The driver's side is angled down and the pass side, the bracket is up, to clear the battery.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts