Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody know the "correct" factory exterior finish for the air extractor/vent bezel assemblies? I have seen the bezels and screens left entirely in polished stainless or chrome, and also painted in various manner on different cars. The ones on our '65 GT have been painted flat black (screens and the four sides of each of the 5 rectangular openings of each bezel assembly) with just the outer perimeter "lip" of the bezels polished. I can't find guidance in any of the literature I have, or on previous VMF posts. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
19,169 Posts
I'm glad you asked this question. I've seen only the front-facing bezels in chrome, and also seen the whole bezel unpainted. I suspect the latter is correct. Mine are like the first example, and it's gonna be a real pain to clean.

Someone PLEASE tell us what is the correct finish, 'cause I don't want to remove material that I'm not supposed to. One of my ultimate doofuses was to remove all the black finish on the GT trumpet exhausts. Oh no!

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
I wonder if it depends on where and when the fb was built. Unfortunately, I haven't the foggiest idea where I left the air extractors for the garage shelf and the other fb is inside a hot rod fabricator's shop so I can check them.

I do remember the I6 December '64 built fb I had long ago had the same black painted sides of the 5 louver vents and the screens being regular shiney stuff. The metal structure behind them were painted black.

Hope someone comes up with the answer, I need to know too.

Dean T

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This sounds similar to the finish/detail on our '65. Midlife, did he mention whether or not the screens should also be painted? I assume the paint is flat black...?
Thanks

·
Premium Member
19,169 Posts
Screens? What screens? The only screens are on the outside of the car!

No, he didn't mention the paint, but it probably the charcoal grey/black of the dash. My interior is black, and it matches the rear panels.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The picture becomes clearer! My original question was with regard to the EXTERIOR bezel assemblies ... sorry, it was not clear. The info regarding finish on the INTERIOR fins is certainly useful. I haven't found any info about those either ... until now. The (interior) fins on my '65 are apparently finished correctly then (one less project to do!), still unsure about the exterior assemblies and screens.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts